Oticon, Phonak or ...... high frequency loss

Basically I hate wearing aids and have 3 instances where I value them. 1st is during conversations with my grandkids (especially over zoom) . Second is with visits with family and friends. And 3rd is as a assistance device for streaming TV.
During my basic “old man” activities I prefer quiet . I will not upgrade my phone to the iphone world and Oticon’s blue tooth has been painfull. Phonak appears to be much friendlier with android and also better for poor hearing with background noise. Trial period is almost up. Any recommendations or advice appreciated.

2 Likes

If you want simple Bluetooth connections to work right out of the gate with little trouble, I would say Phonak is a better choice. However, if you don’t mind using a ConnectClip streaming audio device to your Android phone (although the ASHA support from the Real should also work with ASHA-supported Android phones in theory, how reliably is the question), then the ConnectClip BT connection to other BT devices to your Oticon aids should be pretty reliable as well.

If you want more aggressive noise suppression in noisy situation, then Phonak would be a better choice because it suppresses sounds aggressively from the back and the sides in its Noise program, while letting you hear sounds from the front better. The disadvantage of this is that you won’t hear people talking clearly from behind or the sides, unless you keep turning your head to point to whomever you want to listen to face to face. Oticon aids subscribe to their “open” paradigm, so you’ll be able to hear speech from all around you, even in noisy situation. The noise will be suppressed to help make speech clearer, but because of the open paradigm, they don’t get suppressed as aggressively as with the Phonak aids, but nevertheless, they should be suppressed “enough” in theory for better speech understanding. But if you simply don’t want to hear anything else except speech in front of you in noisy situation, then the Phonak would suit you better.

Now because of your high frequency profound loss, you should use frequency lowering to help you recover those high frequency sounds into a lower destination region where your hearing still has “some” audibility. Both Phonak and Oticon have frequency lowering technologies. But they operate on different principles. Phonak’s SoundRecover 2 operates on frequency compression, but your can set up your destination region as low as around 700-800 Hz, while Oticon’s Speech Rescue operates based on frequency transposition and composition, but its destination region’s lowest frequency is at 1.5 KHz only.

Your hearing loss is mild at 700 Hz, while moderate at 1.5 KHz, so I think either of these frequency technologies should work for you. The question is which one your brain will like to hear better. If you’re a musician or like to listen to music better, the frequency compression used by Phonak may not be as “friendly” for music as the frequency transposition/composition used by Oticon. But I really have NO experience with Phonak’s frequency compression at all to be able to tell you how it sounds to me. Only you can decide that. But I use Speech Rescue’s frequency transposition/composition in all of my Oticon aids’ programs, including the Music program, and I’m a musically inclined person (not a pro musician though), and even for single tone notes when I play the piano, nothing sounds off-pitch/off-tune to me at all.

9 Likes

I would go with Phonak, but then I am prejudiced since I worked as a Practice Development Consultant for Phonak after I sold my practice. When I was actively fitting, I preferred Phonak over Oticon, although Oticon does make a good product. Which ever way you go, remember that the more you wear them the better you will do with them. Only wearing them for special times or occasions, you will be short changing yourself and not get the most out of them.

12 Likes

Wow! thanks for the replys and great info. I’m learning more here than I could ever hope to learn from my audioligist. Visited her today and advised that I was done with Oticon and want to try the Phonak. She took new impressions and was going to check with WCB to see what I qualify for. Looking forward to my new journey with either Lumity or Paradise in a couple of weeks.
Having said that is the Phonak fitting software available for download and if so where can I grab a copy?

2 Likes

Hi there, yes target software is available, do read the user guides as well as it’s very helpful for setting up the first time.

2 Likes

Will do; thanks again.

1 Like

@deisman

Congratulations!

I have a WCB claim in Ontario. The game has changed since I received it almost 20 years ago. I think that the motive is reduced costs. Hearing Aids, and Service.

Hearing aids–they only supply 3 brands. They don’t provide the top model of each brand here. They supply hearing aids at 5 year intervals, or longer. Your situation may be different. And they supply to hearing aid dispensers. I’ve had to change twice. I’m lucky. Phonak is one of the brands. Point is I don’t get to pick from any of the available brands.

Service–Batteries are paid for, but they may limit the number according to an audiologist who I had for about 8 years. Domes, etc. too.

Replacement–it used to be that they would replace one lost pair. I don’t know if that still applies.

Suggest you check your province’s regulations. (I was Island born. Victoria.)

I had an excellent audiologist when I started. My second and third audiologists…oh my. The last one couldn’t set up my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. He tried for 2 years, then suggested that I find someone with more skill to help me better.

oh…Target software is PC based. Not Apple. If you have the skill you could run it on Apple computers. I don’t have that skill, and my iMac is ancient.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

You & I have very similar situations. My audiologist yesterday recommended either Phonak or Starkey. He said that both do a good job of shutting out background noise. Starkey automatically switches into “environmental programs” when needed to reduce background noise as it constantly scans the various situations you’re in. Phonak has the option of manual control if you prefer that. When Phonak makes a change to an environmental program if it’s in automatic setting, it makes a click noise, loud enough that some of his patients find annoying.

Starkey’s latest is the Genesis AI. Phonak’s is the Lumity.

3 Likes

I’m unaware of any click noise from Phonak during program change but their ActiveVent receiver is infamous for a loud click when it changes venting.

5 Likes

Thanks for adding that info. That must be what he was talking about. I don’t know the Phonak aids so I must have been confused. :thinking:

1 Like

You don’t mention what phone brand you use but I found that my previous Android, which was a OnePlus 10 Pro was awful at handling Bluetooth. My new phone is a Motorola Razr and is so much better. Not flawless but at least I don’t have the urge to throw my phone against the wall anymore.

Also I have Rexton BiCores from Costco, which I love. I don’t hear much about Rextons on this forum - I’m not sure why, maybe not such a huge brand. My Costco hearing professional was able to reduce the background noice significantly with the programming - it did take a couple visits to get it to the point I was happy with. Overall they are a great deal from Costco and come with both a regular and portable charger.

1 Like

Rexton used to be popular around 2015 or 2016, the Trax 42 was the “in” hearing aid at Costco. Then a variation became the KS7 and it was also quite popular. KS8 was also Rexton, but then poplularity decreased. They are solid aids and I really liked their “Click Sleeve” domes.

1 Like

Yes! The domes are fantastic!

I love wearing aids because without them I can’t hear anything. I have Phonak Lumity 90s currently that I got from the VA. If I didn’t have the Roger On remote mic I would be lost. It’s a lifesaver.

2 Likes

Hi, Deisman, lots of input here, I chose Phonak Paradise P70T because my Audi has a lot of experience with the brand, I wanted disposable bat’s, and T-coil since the Bluetooth would not connect to my house portables, and my cell in Samsung, this works good to, really hands free here, but I don’t make many calls on it, it’s mostly for notifications that I use it for and emails… been 2-3 months plus now, and after a second visit for tweaking, I think it’s working great even in noise, as in car with windows open, as for the TV link, super great, almost lo lag and very good sound, I even listen to theater production, very relaxing stuff (for me anyway), others will say it to, programing is 90% learning depends on you, I am lucky, my brain learns fast… hope it helps.
Ken

1 Like

I think you will find the Phonak aids to be superb. The TV streamer does not have a very long range, but is awesome if you are in range. I got Phonak aids last year and I am hearing better than I have in the last 40+ years!
Best Wishes,
Dan

3 Likes

Thanks Dan, Dave. Ken, Bil, Volusiano, gorgeguy,l107,Tenkan et al. WCB Sask (where I lived while I was a steelworker) will do L70’s which I believe are the audeo lumity but am new to Phonak and have a few questions.
1./ My Oticon aids are Real2 R85 mini RITE’s with custom molds and I can’t find a mini RITE at Phonak so was wondering what is their equivilant?
2./ I assume L70 refers to Audeo Lumity -R ?
3./I’ve downloaded the Target softwear and find it a bit more technical than the Oticon Genie2 softwear. Trying to sort out the choices and their vents are 0.9-1.1+ 1.2-1.6… whereas my oticon has a 1.4 mm vent right and 0.8 vent left. So would expect these are equivilents?
4./ Looked at the difference and I believe my right requires a M Sensor receiver and my left a P sensor or would they just do P sensors for both?
5./ Concerning domes Phonak lista Sensor C Shell, Vented Dome clear, open dome and cap dome. Excuse my naivity but which one is a custom dome?
Thanks again for all the input.

1 Like

Rexton hearing aids are rebranded Signia hearing aids. Same hearing aid regardless of which name is on it. Signia is one of the “big 6” hearing aid companies. By buying your hearing aids with the Rexton name on them instead of Signia, you’re getting a steal - buying a premium hearing aid at a bargain price. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Does Costco sell highest level of Bi-Cores? It’s 80 I think? Because those have extended frequency range, and as an owner of Signias AX 7, with high frequency loss, I find that particularly helpful.

1 Like

Yes Costco only sell the premium models.

2 Likes