Oticon, Phonak or ...... high frequency loss

You can use closed captions on Zoom!!! It helps a lot.

1 Like

Have you tried closed captions on Zoom? It helps me a lot!

2 Likes

The c-shell is a custom mould. Not sure what clear refers to, unless itā€™s the slim tip (which is clear) that is also a custom moulded earpiece which as far as I know is more open. With the c-shells, the receiver is embedded in the mould, but with the slim tips the receiver is pushed into the tip. I was supposed to get slim tips last week, but instead they made me c-shells with large vent as my ear canals are too small for slim tips. They are very comfortable.

Iā€™m very happy with my near 5 year old resound Quattro. work very well with my pixel 6, and the tv steamer is great.

Iā€™m probably due for new aids, though my audiologist had me send them in for a service late last year and I received back a new pair at no costšŸ˜Š

btw. Specsaversā€¦

1 Like

Thanks Tealover for answering my question 5 and sharing your own details. The c-shell looks like right one and my ear canals are also small. The left one having a bit of a bend making for insertion a bit more difficult.
Thanks again

1 Like

Can you comment on your battery life with the Lumitys? Thanks

Not as good as I had hoped. Definitely not as good as the Starkey Genesis AIs that I returnedā€¦

2 Likes

Depends on how much streaming you do and if you have the chance to recharge them even just for 15-20 minutes during the day (which gives you like 3-4 additional hours).

In general, with 3-4 hours of streaming a day, they last 16 hours.
They drain quite a bit in very loud places because the noise reduction uses more power.

I got my copy of phonak Target on eBay.

As you evaluate phonak, the size of the vents on the ear mold could make a difference. They do for me and my audiogram is kind of similar to yours, at least on paper. And like you, I care only about speech reception and only in a limited number of situations.

2 Likes

For me, this is unacceptable!

My hearing aids need to be in my ears all day if I choose to wear them and not have to think where I can charge them if Iā€™m out for the whole day.

(Just my opinion.)

4 Likes

@Zebras

I agree.
Worst case for me. Hospital procedure. Put them in that day at 7:00 a.m. as I needed toā€¦I was concerned all day that I would be kept over night, and not have sufficient charge with my hearing aids.

• In a ward, prepared at 8:45 a.m. Lying down, facing the centre of the ward. Turns out I couldnā€™t hear anything in front of me! I had to have my wife repeat everything. I could hear the patient and dr. talking 20 feet behind me though.

That 2 days was a complete failure for my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90ā€™s the way they were set up, and the rechargeable batteries in them.

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes

Thanks Cohen. I donā€™t supose you know in what situation a bigger or smaller vent would be called for? Origionally my HCP perscribed open domeā€™s and only went to custom domes at my request. She said the ODā€™s were perscribed because of my good low frequency hearing. I noticed substantial improvement with the custom molds. I wonder if the vent size is related to this differential in hearing frequencies?

1 Like

While well intended that prescription was ill informed.
In the case of your hearing loss (mine is similar) much more important is to get the gain of high frequencies right. Which is impossible to do with open domes, without running into feedback issues.

The nosier is the environment the more important is the sealing of your ear.

Also the bigger the vent, the less low end gain, so itā€™s a compromise between occlusion effect and feedback as well.

1 Like

So small vent = more of an occlusion effect and a large vent = more feedback?

3 Likes

Yes, ok so yes this is the basics, but the end result is dependant on how well your fitter sets them up, so bigger vent is not always going to have you HAs screaming non-stop, just the right size vent and youā€™ll not notice occlusion or feedback
(sometimes youā€™ll be able to trigger feedback with a bigger vent, like covering your ear, only noticeable for a few seconds before the feedback manager kicks in) because of your loss in those higher frequencies this may happen like this for you, but again a good audiologist will be able to reduce it to a minimum.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying; learning lots here. Unfortunately ā€œhow to find a good audiologistā€ seems to be hit and miss. The more I learn the more I realize that there is a big problem in that field. This time I chose an audiologist with more credentials M.CI.Sc., Aud(C) but am realizing just a good technician may have been a better bet. Hopefully she is able to tweek my Phonakā€™s better than she did the Oticons.

3 Likes

@deisman

audiologist fitted my hearing aids 2 years ago. He couldnā€™t set them up. Iā€™ve switched at his suggestion.

Hearing aid practioner did setup and I can hear! Wish I did it long ago

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Well got my new Phonak Audeo L70 RL aids and custom molds this week. Unfortunately the molds are problematic (holes not deep enough for receivers and one is totally blocked.) Question for today is on bluetooth. I find it irritating that I frequently get a 4 or 5 note melody played in the aids; sometimes one and other times both. Is this normal?
Below is the email I sent to my audiologist which is self explanitary and I would appreciate any comments.

1./ If I wasnā€™t deaf before I sure am now. I paired the aids with theTV module and the sx was so loud it was painful and I had to pull them out of my ears and then try to make adjustments. I tried turning the volume down with the Phonak TV box but it didnā€™t make a noticable improvement. Volume at the TV set was 0 but according to the literature it does not pertain.
The volume in the app was also at 0 and would not go below -5 which still was much too loud. The ambient balance was in the middle between Surroundings and TV. I found if I moved that slider almost all the way towards Surroundings the sx was much better. So A combination of -2 on the volume control and 2 clicks off of Surroundings is the best I can do. Also the streaming mute icon does nothing.
2./I basically had many of the same problems when streaming from my laptop after pairing with it. The computers/streaming program also requires its volume control to be near off. Trying to figure out why my desktop bt keeps dropping the stream whereas the laptop does not. (will let you know if I figure it out)
I also found if I use the hearing aid button volume down to 2 clicks above off with all other settings mentioned it is also a tolerable setting. Problem is all setting go back to defaults(deafening)
3./Also the telephone volume in the phone app (phone slider) had to be down a considerable amount.
4./The app also has trouble staying connected with the aids (With the left one disconnecting frequently) The aids continue to work though.

And lastly does anyone know why the bt keeps disconnecting on my win10 desktop computer but stays connected on my win11 laptop?
Thanks to all for contributing.

2 Likes

Your audi need to make changes in the streaming programms and lowering/reducing he volume in the two streaming programms for TV and for phone streams

1 Like