Worsening hearing

New to the group. I have Kirkland KS 10 hearing aides for a few years. I have noticed my word recognition has gotten worse. I had my testing redone at Costco. Not much difference in my hearing test. Like many I have significant trouble in noisy environments. Even in my quiet environments or using my Sennhauser 175 headphones for TV (which have been super in the past) I am experiencing word recognition struggles depending on the speaker or show.

I had Costco send of my hearing aides to refurbish them. No change.

I am considering trying one of the other hearing aides at Costco to see if that helps.

I am wondering if anyone has used lanyard or clip on assisted listening devices like the REXTON Smart mic to direct focus to the sound source.

Is the general experience for hearing aides that the more expensive hearing aides ?? $4000, 5000 ?? over significant improvement over the $1400- 1500 hearing aide products offered by Costco, Sorry about multiple topics in this posting. Just trying to get more complete info on my hearing issues for feedback.

Thanks

1 Like

I don’t think spending more money on hearing aids is the solution. The tech is all very similar. You might find somebody who is better at sorting out your hearing issues for more money, but it will likely be their knowledge and skill that is helping.
If you’re considering a remote microphone, the Phonak PartnerMic is very good. They can be purchased on EBay for less than $100. This can help a lot for one on one conversations.
For TV, the Phonak TV Connect is very helpful. Not sure what EBay prices are like.
Posting your audiogram (Click on FORUM at top of page, then My Hearing Tests) would help, as well as stating your word recognition scores from your recent Costco testing (should be a percentage and a decibel level for each ear)

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum

I have similar Phonaks. P90R’s. I believe they are very similar to your hearing aids.

Do you have an App to use? If you do you may find out what you need to have change in the setup.

I use the myPhonak app with my Paradise P90’s. It has a setting “Adjust program”

Hit that–and it shows the program my HA’s have chosen. Right now it’s Calm Situation (Automatic)

There are 3 buttons…

• Comfort
  • Clarity

If I hit “Clarity” I can see what changes have been made. It adjusts:

• Base (remains same)
  • Middle (one notch up)
  • Treble (Two notches up) These are all seen using the “Equalizer” labelled “Equalizer Presets”

That choice improves word recognition for me.

I know my hearing loss is different from yours. If you have the APP check and see how it effects your word recognition. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I have KS10 hearing aids and use the Phonak Roger On mic. It’s a been total game changer for me. I have a cookie bite hearing loss that scoops out a lot of the speech ranges. I attended an office Christmas lunch last week in a noisy restaurant and the Roger mic was the difference between being in the conversation and watching it.

The older Roger Pen also works with KS10.

2 Likes