Will a petition to the manufacturer have any effect?

@Don What Phonak HA are you using at the moment?
Thx

No, I could not use frequency lowering even with my 110 dB Xceed. So if Xceed is final superpower hearing aid from Oticon - it will be my nightmare.

Im using Lumity L90 R, with C-shell molds and UP receivers. About 2 months ago i changed to semi-linear and oh my gosh, everything is clear now.

Years ago i used Resounds set to have low compression ratios, with much success, so i wanted to try something similar on the Lumity.

1 Like

Just curious, what happens when you try frequency lowering?

I think the market for 13 Lumity would be so small as to not be worth it for Phonak. Zip Hearing includes their sales statistics and the overwhelming choice is rechargeable.

@1Bluejay , i know that theses are no Live aids , but new Naida Lumity SP have 13 battery , and the Sky Lumity SP also powered by 13 zinc-air battery.

Well they do have a 13,

Well if itā€™s Phonak itā€™s hardly surprising, itā€™s all they pushed on people at one stage, but still how many of those that first used rechargeable and found out the hard way how bad it can be and went back to the more dependable zinc air?

1 Like

If I use recommended prescription - nothing happens, it cannot place sounds into my residual hearing. If I move slider to left to lower frequency stronger - sound S stands before (lower than) sound SH.

I canā€™t use any model of BTE cuz they require a custom mold - all of the materials Iā€™m allergic to. I can only do RIE aids with a soft, silicone double dome on the speaker. Less than optimal, but Iā€™m VERY grateful they donā€™t make my ears itch and burn.

I believe custom molds can be done in soft siliconeā€¦Maybe one of our audiologists or others in the know will chime in on this.
Dan

The production of silicone domes is done by injection moulding, this leaves a surface that is molecularly complete and largely defect free.

Other moulds are produced by 3D printing, forms of casting/hand finishing and using evaporate products, which leaves micro-voids on the product surface and also potentially remnants of the catalyst reaction. Finishing is usually with dipped/UV cured acrylic lacquer, which can be (rarely) hand polished.

Something in one of these processes might be causing a reaction, or simply the micro abrasions/voids in the otherwise perfect surface allow bacterial/fungal production and byproducts to build and irritate the skin. Some people are allergic to the plastics, some to their own bacterial/fungal byproducts, some to both.

3 Likes

This thread was about petition. Can anyone help me write a petition? Are there any lawyers and writers here?

That sure sounds like what could be happening with me. I was never allergic to the smooth, shiny, flesh-colored plastic custom molds when I wore ITEs, but any form of silicone firm or acrylic, and it sets my ears on fire within hours. Bummer.

Perhaps I donā€™t react to the soft double dome silicone receiver tips cuz they are just a loosey-goosey fit on me - not snug like the custom molds. Thanks for explaining this! Puts my mind at rest.

1 Like

Ooops, sorry about the digression. Try searching here for legal form or perhaps someone who can help with the petition.

Electronics manufacturers are like politicians. They pay no attention and most likely never even see petitions.

1 Like

At any company it is the enthusiastic salespeople who are the demigods, as they sit at the point of revenue collection. What customers want and R&D can achieve requires creativity, technical insight and long-term vision, only affecting future sales and the bonus of another CEO- far too distant to bother.

1 Like

Are titanium moulds not available where you live? I notice theyā€™ve not been mentioned on here other than as tips or for ITC aids. Titanium is hypoallergenic, bio-compatible and yeast and bacteria inhibiting (and looks really cool too). Maybe theyā€™d be an option for you?

In Europe they cost about 150ā‚¬-200ā‚¬ each side, which is about double the cost of a normal mould, but providing your ear doesnā€™t change you can use them forever.

@Lostdeaf

Dimitri, I understand that you want to write a petition (survey?)

However, Phonak has recently shown they watch us here. They responded when a member sent his post with hundreds of responses, and said that Phonak was providing replaceable batteries in Lumity hearing aids where none were available before.

Theyā€™ve responded again saying that new receivers with better wax guards would be available for Marvel Paradise and Lumity hearing aids. Iā€™ve been very critical and see this as a necessary improvement.

Until this happened I thougth I would never buy Phonak hearing aids again. Iā€™m very relieved that participation in this forum and helpful criticism has motivated Phonak to modify their product.

I hope this helps you.
DaveL

Thank you! Yes, Iā€™m thinking of writing a petition, and now Iā€™m composing the text. Phonak are great - they have both superpower hearing aids and a full range of accessories. Itā€™s a pity that their sound doesnā€™t suit me. The Oticon sound suits me best - but I feel like theyā€™ve neglected the deaf market.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m sure I could get titanium molds for my speakers. Iā€™ve talked to my audi about it. Likely there would be no allergic reaction to that. But my ears swell UP every night and then gradually go down thru the day.

Back in the day of my custom molds made of flesh-colored shiny plastic, Iā€™d have to jam these aids in upon waking (OUCH!) and then by dayā€™s end, theyā€™d be loosy-goosey and Iā€™d start getting squeaky feedback. My feet and even hands have the same issue, but with the ear canals, itā€™s good to have material that ā€œgivesā€ a bit upon insertion, but then holds fast inside so they donā€™t fall out.

I DO like the tech look of titanium tho!

1 Like