What does clicking sounds in ears mean?

Hi all. This is regarding my son who is 7. Touch wood he has not had any issues with his ears apart from 1 infection which got treated promptly with antibiotics. He passed his recent hearing test as well. But for the last few weeks he has been complaining that he has clicking noises in his ear (usually 1) and when I looked with a torch, I could see there was a LOT of wax in it. I put some olive oil drops in there as suggested by the pharmacy but it is not doing much. I notice he has the TV on quite loud and I have to really raise my voice for him to hear so it might be to do with earwax but what else could it be? The clicking noise (as he describes it) is driving him insane now to the point where he cannot sleep at all and will hit himself on the ear and head to try and stop it… very distressing to see that! I thought it was because he was chewing or yawning but it happens when he is sitting still. I am also calling the GP as he has been sick on and off and said he vomited because he felt very dizzy and everything was spinning. Im waiting for them to let me know if they can fit him in today but any ideas? He has not got a fever or anything like that.

@craftycrocheter from what i know sometimes a clicking sound can be linked to Eustachian tube dysfunction where the tubes aren’t draining and can be linked to having had an ear infection

1 Like

See what the GP says. If it’s medically okay to do so, antihistamine can help reduce any fluid in the middle ear. A pharmacist can be very helpful if you don’t manage to speak to a GP. The wax may be causing this noise, or fluid in the middle ear. I hope you get some advice soon & that he is more comfortable. There may be specific ear drops they can give to help with the wax. I have had clicking noises from allergies, which antihistamine did help with but it’s always important to get medical advice particularly with a child. Hope you get it sorted for him soon.

1 Like

Please note that I am NOT a medical expert but from what you mention. Your son seems to get flu? did he get sneezing nose?

Its Eustachian Tube. This tube connected all the way through the nose and mouth.

When you swallow saliva or water, your muscle around E-tube will move and make the sound.

If your E-tube is inflammation due to infection or caught Cold-Flu, this will happens. E-tube can’t functional normally when it in inflammation state. E-tube is for adjusting inner pressure to outer pressure. When E-tube not functional normally, your hearing also get affected. This is why you hear everything less clear when you caught flu and E-tube inflammtion.

2 Likes

Sorry for late replies. No he does not get flu or colds often, however he has got a ton of wax in the ear that has been clicking so I have to put 2 drops of olive oil in it 2x a day to clear it (I was previously doing it 1x a day)

When do you hear the clicking?
Is it loud sounds in frequencies you are questionably deaf?

Hi. Not me, it is my son who is having these issues.

The question still applies for your son.

I ask because my upper frequencies cracked and popped where I was basically deaf.
I learned it was not a good idea to buy powerful hearing aids to put gain in those frequencies.

Take him to see an audiologist. It’s probably middle ear dysfunction, but having them assess is the only way you’ll know. Unless you want to wait for an ENT, which seems like overkill.

1 Like

Yes they said something about eustasian tube being blocked.

Really? I have been given more power hearing aids so was that the wrong thing to do?

I would follow what Neville recommended. He/she (I don’t know after all these years) is the pro in this conversation.

As far as power aids question you need to be properly tested for those higher frequencies to make sure they are not dead zones. If they are dead zones there is no need to put gain in those areas with power aids. But if there is hearing in those high frequencies power aids would be best.

I bring this up because in my past there were audiologist who missed this with my hearing and fit me with power aids when they did nothing for my hearing. Frequency lowering technology helped me before moving on to CI.

I am being referred for a CI assessment but before they do it, they said they have to give me higher power aids.

As for deadzones, I was told I had them but I hear birds singing / high frequency sounds, however they are distorted/not clear nor any clarity.

1 Like

So, it just takes time for the eustachian tube to clear. Just provide reassurance. Pushing fluids and getting good sleep night help.