Wearing hearing aids while sick?

I’m curious to know if other people do/don’t wear their hearing aids while sick, I find that even with the most venting that basically anything in my ears makes me feel worse/stuffy and doesn’t exactly help with my word understanding if I’m trying to pay attention around the fact that I most likely feel awful.

If it is not my normal sleeping hours, I have my hearing aid in. Period. Except swimming, showering, or getting a hair cut. When I’m sick, I do not want to be even more miserable by being deaf, too.

1 Like

I wore my hearing aids last month with an upper respiratory illness. However, I wear open domes. So that may make a huge difference.

I have a cold right now and am wearing my HAs. If I were bed ridden and sleeping most of the day, I probably would not bother.

I take them out because I don’t want the added noise and recruitment discomfort. Then I fuss about not being able to hear. For me, that is the best of a difficult situation. But then, I take them out when I’m tired, too. Listening is hard and with enough fatigue or illness I just give up by deciding it’s not worth the effort.

1 Like

Well maybe if I had your audiogram it wouldn’t be an issue. :upside_down_face:

But with MY audiogram (or the flat line that it represents near the zero of nothing) I’d DEAFinately keep 'em in.

I wouldn’t sleep with them in, but I’d want to be able to communicate to anyone looking after me if I’m sick and need to wear aids.

2 Likes