Wearing a hearing aid slashes the risk of dementia

1 Like

This in on CNN US today :

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/13/health/dementia-hearing-loss-biobank-wellness/index.html

What about those who are completely deaf and choose to communicate in sign language? Are they at risk of developing dementia, even though they choose not to treat their deafness and communicate in a different way?

These papers miss the point. The point is, communication can reduce the risk of developing dementia. A person can wear hearing aids till the cows come home and it won’t risk of developing dementia.
It’s the communication that is important.

But with texting, cell-phones (and the internet on cell-phone) then COVID and Zoom, there is much less in-person communication than in the last century.

2 Likes

Visited an old age home several times a week for about 10 years.
People there that didn’t see family or friends seemed dimentia like.

My visits–person became more lively the longer I stayed.

Big “D” as they are known, born “Pre-lingually Deaf” are of a different culture @craftycrocheter, they see no problems with being Deaf, in the UK, they use BSL ( British Sign Language) recognition was granted not so long ago as a recognised minority language in the UK… BSL is for the record, around 5 times faster than aural language, and up to 7 times quicker than you can speak, depending on whom is signing, I sign, and believe me, you need your wits about you whenever you are amongst Big “D”, they are as sharp as a tack… Comparing them to HOH, is a bit of a misconception, they want absolutely nothing to do with HOH, they tolerate us, but only just! As for the hearing world, they wouldn’t spit on them if they where on fire! They distrust the hearing world, and avoid them whenever possible, they where persecuted, and abused for hundreds of years, they have their own culture & language, and as such they have no need for the hearing world… IMO, They are aloof, I think they look down on those whom don’t use sign language, as their first language… As always YMMV. Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

“Slashes”? Percent-wise I suppose. However, let’s look past the headline at the absolute numbers. In absolute terms the difference is minor - 0.5%.

@kevels55 Strange because of course we have NOTHING against them, but if they expect us to work around and adapt to their needs then they should surely do the same? Without sounding out of turn here, they believe that being deaf is something that is not broken, so why fix it? Well it is broken… we are born with a hearing organ for a reason. It is something that is so badly relied upon wherever we are and whatever we do. Good luck to them if they are happy using BSL, I would love to learn more BSL myself (I know basic sign, ABCs, 123s, Hello, Thank you, etc), but my lifestyle means that I always have to be using my lugholes… another reason why I have started wearing hearing aids again. :relaxed:

1 Like

If you think about it @craftycrocheter… Why would you crave something you have never had, or experienced, they have little or no concept of sound, they are very attuned to vibrations though… I believe in the States, Big D, are fairly militant in trying to preserve their culture, totally against Cochlear Implants! It’s the HOH, whom grieve hearing loss, because of what we had, and what we lost… I believe they or most of Big D wish/pray for their children to be born Deaf, and therefore they see C.I. as a threat to their culture…Persecution of the, “Deaf without Speech Children” in the UK, (Known back then as Deaf & Dumb Kids) continued until around the 1950’s here in the UK, in Deaf Schools up and down the country, these kids where forced/coerced into learning speech, these children where made to sit on their hands in class, so they could not sign, it is little wonder why they distrust the hearing world… An unbelievable, and abhorrent way to treat young children!!! Cheers Kev.

1 Like

Of course hearing aids in the USA are "elective and not a necessity ". Crazy they are lumped with Botox, breast implants and other plastic surgery.

1 Like

In the U.K. they aren’t even regarded as a necessity by the government; despite the NHS providing them. They attract 20%VAT (sales tax) here.

1 Like

Fascinating Kev!

My late Great Aunt was Big D. She raised my Father, after his Mother died when he was 2-1/2 from Spanish Fllue. She was an amazing Lady.

She loved the experience of “listening” to orchestras playing. My Father guessed it was vibration…
Thanks so much for your posts. I always learn something valuable from what you write.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words Dave… From a personal perspective, I find Big D equally fascinating, both culturally & linguistically, an interesting part for me is Big D use certain signs, that have no direct translation into aural language, they are unique to sign language, and called “Multi-channels”, what’s fascinating is they make a noise, and it is the only time they use a sound when signing these Multi-channels, which is surprising as they can’t hear, my wife says there is approximately 50 of these Multi-channels, I know a few, but not that many! These signs are usually accompanied with 3 main noises pronounced as they are spelt, wheesh, thumph, and sheesh, there probably others to which I am oblivious… There is no recorded history of Multi-channels, so there origin or history is unknown? Sign Language was I believe, first observed and recorded in the 16 Century, here in the UK, although it is more probable that it is thousands of years old? Cheers Kev :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Kev!

I’ve known some animal communicators and had real experiences that confirm they knew how to communicate with my dogs… I wish I had this skill. I’m having trouble communicating with my puppy who is only a year old. Point is that I believe we humans are only just learning how to communicate. There’s so much more to learn.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like