Wax guard replacement

Sorry in advance for what might be a misguided or dumb question.

If I hold my hearing aid in my closed palm and it feedsback just as vigorously as it did on the day the wax guard was first installed, does that suggest that the wax guard does not need replacing?

Nothing to do with the wax filters, any HAs will feedback like this I that situation, put them back in your ears and then check for feedback, a good tight fit and you shouldn’t have any.

Thanks Tenkan but I think you have misunderstood my question.

I am not referring to the propensity of hearing aids to squeal when held in a closed palm. That will obviously happen. I am talking about whether a blocked wax guard is likely to reduce the amount of feedback and if so, whether the “palm test” is a useful way to check if it might be time to change the wax guard.

To an extent yes, but if the guard is like a pepper pot, seven out of the eight holes might be full, but you’ll still be able to make it saturate; however, does that mean it’s working perfectly? Possibly not.

If you feel the sound is lower, change it in the first instance as even not fully sealing wax might be headed down the neck of the receiver.

Thanks very much for that. That’s exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get from the members here.

1 Like

Oh yes I had missed your meaning.

But no, that’s not a good way to check for blocked wax filters, easiest way to tell is to visually inspect, but the most obvious way is you’ll notice reduced performance in your HAs while using, it’s a maintenance thing really, so a good idea to change every few weeks or more if you know you produce more wax then usual.