Using Phonak Roger On When TV Only Has Optical Audio Out

Hi all,

I just started a trial of Phonak L90-RLs and a Roger On assistive device. The only way I could get the Roger On to stream my TV (which doesn’t have RCA audio out, only headphone and optical) was to use the 3.5mm male <> USB C cable with the 3.5mm male going into the TV and the USB C going directly into the Roger On. This means I can’t use the Roger On charger to charge the device while watching TV and the Roger On is literally hanging off the back of the TV.

Since my primary TV audio out is the Optical audio out (along with a headphone port) and the Roger On charger (strangely) only has a 3.5mm female audio in, what is the best way to hook up the Roger On charger with Roger On device charging in it.

Offhand, it seems I could either try to convert the optical signal to something the RCA cable understands, run one 3.5mm headphone cable which is male on both ends, or look for a cable or device that is optical on one end and USB-C on the other end to plug into charger.

I’m a bit out of my league here. Any and all help greatly appreciated. And does the Roger On charger really not come with an optical port? My Resound TV device has supported Toslink optical for years.

Thanks so very much.

Buy this (eBay link). It will take the optical from the tv and charge your mic at the same time. I bought one this way as the VA didn’t provide it.

WH

Isn’t the optical cable dual purpose, ie plugs into the same socket but is optical down the middle?

It’s possible I didn’t get all the cables that normally come with a shrink wrapped Roger On. My Audi used one she had in stock that was open. I didn’t receive any cable that had an optical connection that would go into the TV. Based on the response referencing the eBay Dock In purchase, it looks like perhaps I need a cable with optical on one end and Mini Toslink on the other end which can go into the Docks 3.5mm port? Does that sound like the solution?

Yes I’m sure my pen in has that cable, it loks like toslink to 3.5 jack but is optical to fit the charger.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Is the cable on the far left of the picture what makes a connection between the TV optical port and the Dock station itself? Hopefully the connection on the Dock side headphone port (mini Tosclink?) also preserves the digital sound output coming from the TV? Is that correct?

Thanks very much for the info.

Is this the kind of cable you have?

FosPower (6 Feet) 24K Gold Plated Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable with Metal Connectors & Strain-Relief PVC Jacket https://a.co/d/cWHiMdO

It looks like the mini Toslink side will fit the 3.5mm female port on the Dock and preserve the digital audio coming from the TV optical out.

Thanks again.

It looks very similar, obviously mine is Phonak. The description is what is needed.

Thanks. Just ordered one and will give it a try. I can always buy the eBay package and get an extra Dock. Much appreciated.

The audio port on the roger on base will support either electrical audio via 3.5mm copper jack, or the toslink over the same port over a fiber cable. The audio via toslink has been very good in my case through my roger on.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a place to buy just the cables. I’d like another one of the 3.5mm to USB-c cables – I don’t know of a business in the US selling them without buying a whole kit.

WH

Thanks, is this what you want: https://www.amazon.com/KOOPAO-Adapter-Headphone-Stereo-Compatible/dp/B07Z3TRJKS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3865AQP209CZN&keywords=3.5mm+to+usb+c+cable&qid=1677168365&s=electronics&sprefix=3.5mm+to+usb+c+cable%2Celectronics%2C92&sr=1-3

I ordered a non-Phonak Toslink optical to Toslink mini optical cable at the link I posted above and, hopefully, that will keep me from buying the whole kit, although I’m fine with doing so to get the extra dock.

Thanks for your help.

The cable you bought should be fine.

The amazon link cable you cite is output to the 3.5mm end, not input to the USB-C. Big difference.

Best wishes!

WH

My friend bought this and it didn’t work due to the output being the wrong way round.

He had to source a Phonak cable in the end as couldn’t find one on Amazon.

1 Like