Updating to new hearing aids after two years

Hello,
I am looking to get a new pair of hearing aids after having hearing aids from Connect Hearing for two years. Which hearing aid brand has improved, and which should I avoid? I don’t have my audiogram, but I do know that my hearing is severe, and I usually struggle with speech.

1 Like

Hi there, we cannot recommend which is best for you, only you’ll know this, what we can say is, go check Costco out, they only sell the premium models and have a very good trial period and the warranty is second to none!

4 Likes

Is starkey still a good brand?

1 Like

It’s certainly as good as any others, you’ll need to trial a few different brands to find the ones that are “best” for you, have you got a Costco nearby?

1 Like

Hearing aid preferences are very subjective. At this point all the major brands have great tech but the key will be how they sound for you as well as the skill of your provider at programming them. For HAs new isn’t always better depending on your needs and preferences.

I would find a provider that has a range of different hearing aid companies they work with so you can trial a few different options. A lot of folks have a good experience with Costco if that is available to you. I cannot speak to them myself as they don’t provide HA’s for my level of loss.

2 Likes

UPDATE: MARCH 12, 2024: My great gang just invited me way up north to a fishing camp. No electricity. Beautiful sky, stars, air, nature, bears, trout. No way rechargeables would work. So glad I will switch to the Lumity battery model so I can continue to love the outdoors, on or off the grid.

Please consider carefully before getting rechargeables. If you never travel, spend lots of time at home and are unlikely to have any emergency that takes you out of your living space, rechargeables are the way to go. If you put in long days, travel often, are frequently called away from your home base, batteries are the way to go. You do not want to get stuck late at night in an Emergency Room after a long day, when your recharging station is at home and you MUST understand medical instructions for yourself or others.

4 Likes

You’re right.
I had a hospital procedure and then learned I would be there overnight.
I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s and the rechargeable batteries last only 13 hours on a great day; sometimes much less.

3 Likes

Try the new Oticon Intent, will be better for speech.

1 Like

I have been trialling Lumity 70R’s because at the time I got them, Phonak offered only rechargeable. I have told my Audiologist that I must have their new battery option. Nobody can afford the kind of experience you just had. Thanks for your comment.

1 Like

I am happy to see another improvement.

A provider who posts here says that Phonak will solve the waxguard problem. They shall offer a new Receiver that will use the old waxguards I had on two previous sets of Phonaks. Changing the receivers, changes the waxguards and changes the domes.

Thank you for your comment.

By the way, my audi worked a miracle getting me hearing aids 2 + years early. I couldn’t hear behind on construction sites and was almost hit by fast loaders and equipment overtaking me. However, he never gave me a choice. I got rechargeable batteries, and never saw my HA’s before they were delivered. The batteries and the waxguards were a shock. I curse the wax guards every time I change them; that’s about once a week.

1 Like

Personally, I won’t touch a Phonak after 7 years with 2 versions that never worked right. Costco doesn’t handle them anymore either.
The Jabra that Costco now has are very resonable (I think $1699. a pair) and are the same as the Resound Nexia 1. Those sell for MUCH more than Costco sells Jabra for and every review I have seen rates them #1. The Resound came out in Nov and the Oticon Intent just came out last month. However, I don’t know where you can get a deal on Oticon unless you are a vet. Costco doesn’t handle them. Niether the new Resound or the Oticon are available yet from the VA. Check in May.

1 Like

Understand
I wonder why some have troubles.
Mine was setup

It should be easy. Maybe artificial intelligence will help

I hope so