Tinnitus and otosclerosis question

Hi all,

I created another post which many of you have kindly commented on re my unilateral otosclerosis.

I came back today with another question (really sorry). Over the past few days, I have noticed that I get a quite loud high pitch ringing in my affected ear when I open my mouth, eat, talk or turn my head. Looking straight with mouth closed seems to make it disapear or at lease be inaudible to me.

I have no idea if this had been there at a lower intensity before since it’s only after I started losing my hearing that I am struggling not to focus on my ear and the difficulty of living with an ear that feels blocked constantly.

Is the above tinnitus that you can control the intensity based on jaw and next position typical with otosclerosis or could it be unrelated? I always thought tinnitus was a constant noise that one couldn’t control.

This journey keeps getting better day by day…

Thank you so much again.

Somatosensory tinnitus. It might be muscle/tendon related. Try talking to your dentist about whether you need a bite guard. Try going for a massage. Either way, remind yourself that it’s just a weird noise, nothing dangerous.

2 Likes