Someone please smack me upside my head!

ok, showing my ignorance here. I have been wearing hearing aids since 2014 (first KS4s, KS9s and now Lumity L70s). It’s been a relatively uneventful trip except for the time I couldn’t get my KS9s to work with a new Pixel phone (android). I keep reading about the different Roger devices and to be honest, I have NO clue why someone would want/need to use one. Now granted, I’ve been retired for the length of my HA journey so maybe that has something to do with it. I don’t seem to have problems with Bluetooth streaming from my (Samsung 22), I can hear most things well (daughter still tends to mumble when she doesn’t want to look up from her phone, and husband “forgets” that either talking facing away from me or behind me (and facing away) is going to make hearing what they are saying problematic. Oh yeah, also trying to talk to me while the robot vacuum is running, with the dishwasher going in the background and someone is running a podcast on his phone is sometimes hard to hear. TV viewing is okay, phone calls are fine, pairing to my computer is fine (as are video calls over the compute). So what would any of the Roger devices help me with? Probably the only thing that is still frustrating me is my tinnitus which I am hoping can be dealt with at my next audi appointment. Thanks

1 Like

Roger devices are made for when there’s a lot of background noise, like at a party or a noisy restaurant. My office has a weekly large-group lunch where the main conference room is converted into a cafeteria. The room’s acoustics are great for amplifying the voice of a single speaker, which is what conference rooms are actually for. They’re terrible when a bunch of people are talking at one time. I just set my Roger On on the table, and it picks up the voices of the people closest to me, but not most of the ones in the background. It’s much easier to hear than with my aids alone. Depending on the model, they can focus only on sound from certain directions, or be clipped to someone’s collar for one-to-one conversations in noisy environments.

If you never do stuff like that, then they may not be worthwhile for you. If I had my way, I’d never do it either, but my job often requires it. The On and Select will also stream from a tv or other device, but if that’s all you’re going to use it for, Phonak’s dedicated tv streamer is much cheaper. I think streaming is the only thing I’ve ever used it for inside my own home.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information. Every time I read about the Roger accessories I feel like I am going down a rabbit hole. Samething with the TV steamer. Why would I need such device?

1 Like

I find the Roger On iN is very helpful in doctors offices, especially when they insist on talking through a mask. I also find it very helpful when listening to a presentation. I like to use it in restaurants where I can place it on the table and hear everyone (four or five people). However, it also picks up the background noise, but in one on one conversations the pointing option is helpful. If you decide to try one, I would suggest looking at Ebay. You can usually find one for around $400 or less. Keep in mind that you must have the receivers/licenses in your hearing aids for the Roger devices to work. The Roger On iN comes with the licenses while the Roger On does not. As to whether you would want a streamer I think the answer is If you don’t have any problem hearing the TV you probably don’t need a streamer or maybe even a roger device.

2 Likes

@mmcarr719 Depending on your hearing loss, Roger accessories might or might not work for you; If you can trial a Roger On iN (you will need an iN version) before any purchase, that would be great, so you can make an informed decision, you could ask your hearing care provider, bear in mind they do cost a fortune, unless if money isn’t an issue.

As @raylock1 If you can get a decent one from Ebay, that would be also a good option.

Your Phonak Lumity L70 certainly can help you with tinnitus management, see L70 features list below:

1 Like

If you don’t need them you don’t need them.

But as a stark example, I had a patient with completely “normal” hearing thresholds who needed a 20dB signal to noise ratio to understand conversation. If two people were talking at once, they were lost. The only way for them to perform in noise was to block the ear and use a Roger mic clipped to the target speaker.

In contrast, I have a severe/profound CIC user whose speech in noise performance is within the normal range. That is, she can go to a noisy restaurant with her defeatured hearing aids and perform like a typically hearing person.

Speech in noise ability tracks with hearing loss, but not perfectly. Others with hearing loss similar to yours may struggle much more in noise that you do and require support that hearing aids alone cannot provide.

3 Likes

Man, I wish there were audiologists like you where I live. I wasted a godawful amount of time and money before giving up on them and figuring out basically the same solution for myself.

3 Likes

Ditto

Well said

Thank you

1 Like

I’m really glad you posted. I’ve learned a lot from the answers.

I’ve been using HAs for over 20 years. I’ve had hearing issues with mine. They are almost 2 years old

When I go in for my next audi appt in a week, we are going to test me for speech in noise. I do okay in regular/random conversations but would like to get just a tiny boost for places like restaurants with hellacious acoustics. So we shall see if all I need is a small boost in my programming or something more heavy duty.

1 Like

Just my own nickel’s worth, since I just bought the Roger ON iN device last fall. Three key reasons why this device is a keeper for me:

1. Streams audio on TV thru channels NOT connected to my Marantz receiver at home. I place the Roger in front of main TV speaker in roundtable format.
  2. Speakerphone calls. I place the Roger right next to the cell phone in pointer mode. I can hear those on the call in a totally different room.
  3. Traveling - not all hotels have a wall socket close enough to plug in the Roger’s charging base AND connect the cable to the back of the TV set for BT streaming, so I place the Roger in front of the TV like I’m at home and put it in pointer mode.

In these instances, the Roger is like an ideal, truly PORTABLE streaming accessory.

CONS for me: No matter what Phonak says, the Roger is simply NOT the ideal tool for hearing in LOUD noise at restaurants. Either I haven’t figured out how to use it, or it just picks up WAY WAY too much ambient noise. I would also not use it at parties like some kind of mic pointed AT people to hear better what they’re saying. My hands are full with a glass of wine in one and a plate of appetizers in the other.

3 Likes

Can you wear a watch?

1 Like

If it’s any consolation…NO ONE can hear well in loud restaurants. One day our culture will evolve and learn to go back to restaurant settings that don’t broadcast loud background music. this last leads to an arms race of noise: everyone has to speak more loudly to be heard above the music; then the music is turned up to be heard above the crowd. Madness!!!

5 Likes

The big problem is restaurant acoustics!
They all go for the high ceiling, exposed pipe asthetic, which gives off terrible reflections with no sound absorption.
Remember the days of acoustic ceilings, and plush carpeting? Cushy booths with tablecloths?
Gone, baby, gone!

7 Likes

Yes! But with my hands full, I can’t reach my watch to press buttons with the big TOE on my LEFT foot in order to change programs or turn the volume up or down on my hearing aids.

Or. Do you mean these Android watches are like Dick Tracy’s and I can just tell it: “VOLUME UP!” Or “SPEECH IN LOUD NOISE!” Cuz if that’s the case, it could be an option for me.

1 Like

On top of which even doctor’s offices, hospitals, clinics and exam rooms have removed ALL carpeting (more acoustic padding) maybe cuz it’s easier to keep clean and COVID-free?

I was at a rheumatologist’s today and the HVAC was ROARING! All the medical staff there wear face masks and the front desk sits behind sealed, bullet-proof glass, masks ON, asking for all manner of ID, forms and telling me when my next app’t is.

We need to bring back the abacus and clay tablet so we can see and read what’s going ON.

1 Like

Well, you nailed it! But I don’t see us ever going back to peaceful, calm and serene settings. It seems that the younger generation likes everything coming at 'em FULL BORE: loud, fast, multi-message, nano-second sound bites, instant cross-chatter. Was I ever like that 50 yrs ago?

After the rheumatologist’s, I had a chiropractic app’t, and that clinic is not only ICE COLD, but uncarpeted, high-ceilinged, and ROCK music blaring over the PA system. Sometimes I’m in a treatment room having my back stretched 5" and wonder how one is supposed to relax in all the chaotic noise.

What’s wrong with soothing, barely audible sounds of wood flutes or wind chimes like I used to get with acupuncture?

1 Like

Yep.

And yes, I DO see us going back to more quiet public environments, because they’re welcome. Folks want to engage with each other, primarily, when they go out. Loud, horrible music makes that impossible.

1 Like

Clip the Roger On to your watch on the wine glass side and then point your wine glass at people.

7 Likes