Siemens Phoenix 313 and 213

In my search for analog backup hearing aids (for use in Wilderness Hikes) I asked about the Siemens Phoenix models. Anyone still use these? They are advertised as “Digital” hearing aids, but they have old-fashioned trim-pot controls… Is this a scam? Is there any reason to make a digital aid with a few simple trim pot controls? Just wondering. I should think that trim pot controls cannot efficiently work in combination with a digital aid. But I am no electronic engineer. Maybe they will function better than a totally analog aid (like the cheap Siemen’s Lotus family, which I use now as my backups). Anyone have an opinion on this? Mainly what I want to know is can the Phoenix type aid work better than the Lotus family I now use? Can you use trim pot controls to get better reception on a High Power but cheap Digital Aid. I understand the reasoning of Siemens for putting this on the market: No audiogram, no delicate fitting with a computer, lower cost. Maybe there is something to this combination type aid. Should I spring for a trial of the Phoenix 313? Your opinion and experience can help me on this…

George, I started out with the Siemen aids from ebay. They have them for around $60 for supposedly profound loss and say they are digital. I imagine the digital part is substituting digital for discrete components. A way to reduce size more than truly digital. They worked fine for my loss at the time.

Thanks Ken! I will give them a try if I find one at a low price!