Read aloud to improve understanding of speech?

I had a hearing exam at Costco yesterday. The examiner was an HIS trainee near the end of her two-year apprenticeship after an undergraduate degree in speech pathology and audiology. I thought she did a thorough and competent job.

Given my (eternal?) quest for better speech understanding, she said that reading aloud 15 minutes each day was a good exercise. I’ve never heard that before. An internet search gets lots of hits for that exercise as good for dysarthria (difficult or unclear articulation of speech that is otherwise linguistically normal), i.e., one’s own articulation, but I saw nothing on the exercise for what ails (some of) us. Has anyone come across this?

4 Likes

My audiologist which is a professor of audiology told me to get audiobooks that I could listen to at the same time as I am reading the book. This has proven to be a great way to improve my speech understanding. I also use the Amazon Fire Tablet with text to speech enabled in the Kindle app.

5 Likes

Thanks to both of you

I wouldn’t have thought of doing this.

1 Like

What do you mean by “this”? I and @cvkemp posted about two different practices: (1) reading written material aloud; (2) listening to a recording of someone else reading aloud as one silently reads the written material.

I think you missed something.

He listens to the Audeo book while reading it thus improving his listening skills.

I hope this helps

You both had good advice. However everyone’s needs are different based on their hearing loss

1 Like

Huh? What did I miss? I said:

You said:

*another great typo today, at least for Phonak users

What’s the difference? Maybe it’s not clear that listening to an audiobook is listening to a recording of someone else reading aloud?

To add to this good comment is everyone learns in different ways too.

When I went the CI route my audiologist told me to do audiobooks and use apps on my phone. This did not help me at all. I became frustrated.
What worked for me was streaming old TV shows I knew by heart with closed captions on. For me this was like turning on a light about learning speech.

Everyone is different. We have to figure out what works for us.

3 Likes

Thanks! Appreciate your response

1 Like

OK, I’ll repeat my original question that no one has addressed. What evidence is there that my Costco HIS-trainee offered me “good advice”? Evidence aside, has, as I asked, anyone come across this advice – read about it, heard of it, practiced it?

@brec thanks for your question. I had not previously heard/thought about reading aloud as hearing therapy, I think it’s a good idea, simple to do, no cost. I guess it will help some people more than others, since each person’s hearing experience is different. Only one way to find out :smile:

https://www.puntagordahearing.com/blog/aural-rehabilitation/
https://www.ihear.com.au/facts-and-tips/the-ten-minutes-daily-exercises-for-hearing-success/

1 Like

Results of research on auditory training have been pretty varied and inconsistent, and it’s something that researchers are still pursuing because there’s a general feeling that there’s something there and that if we can figure out the optimal method of training it would be beneficial to those with hearing loss, hearing aids, and implants. But one of the biggest issues has been that we seem to often be able to see training benefits within the particular tasks that are trained, but generalization to other day-to-day tasks is poor, or is harder to measure.

When I think about the value of auditory training, I tend to think about a few different things:

Audibility matters. If you simply cannot hear an /s/ sound or a /t/ sound, no amount of auditory training will help with that. This is something that one has to chase with their clinician, and the chase is going to be fairly individual and bounded by individual limits.

Neurons that fire together wire together. You can increase the strength of a neural representation with repetition of a clear stimulus. There’s some interesting work looking at improvements in EEG response to auditory stimuli in children with auditory processing disorder before an after some time (months) using on-ear remote microphone technology. What the remote mic is doing for these children is simply presenting a clear speech signal at supra-threshold levels for hours a day (these children are typically using the devices to hear the teacher throughout the school day). Note that the EEG improvements are seen without the devices–that is, the time using the remote mics appears to be rehabilitative not just supportive.

Literature on the benefits of musical training on areas like reading and hearing in noise, while varied, tends to suggest that passive music listening isn’t enough and you have to engage with it. Similarly, individuals who are memory champions do it by creating broad neural networks–its easier to retreive a memory when you have multiple paths to it rather than just one. Hearing, seeing, producing speech is likely more powerful, from a neural connectivity perspective, than just hearing it alone.

Training, learning in pretty much all areas of human experience, physical and cognitive, is asymptotic (bigger gains earlier), related to difficulty (once you plateau on the easy stuff you need to push to harder things to see more improvement), and requires maintenance. Conscious auditory training will probably show bigger benefits earlier in hearing aid or cochlear implant use, and bigger benefits for those who have further to go. People who are regularly performing reasonably well in complex environments will probably also need it less. Consider who probably needs more time at the gym, the guy who works a desk job or the guy who works his farm all day. Anecdotally, I have had a lot of people, even with normal hearing, reporting declines in speech-in-noise ability through the pandemic, which makes sense if everyone spent two years sitting at home in quiet spaces. Use it or lose it, and if you don’t have natural reasons to use it regularly you have to create reasons.

And finally, we’re not going to do the things in the long-term that we don’t enjoy. Reading aloud might be useful for some people for a little while, but it’s probably only enjoyable in the long-term for a smaller subset of people. Raudrive mentioned what worked for him with his implants was listening to and reading his favourite shows. Bookworms might like a read-along audiobook approach. You’re really just hunting for repetitive, clear, complex auditory stimulus exposure (i.e. speech) and there are probably countless ways to do this. Some people are podcast people, and listening to something you find interesting while walking or working will count as auditory training. Some people are very social and setting up a situation where you can interact with friends (maybe with remote mics to promote a clear signal) will be sustainable. Maybe some people like to read aloud to a grandchild, or participate in local theatre (that would be a lot of reading aloud and memorizing and responding to others). Some people like musical training, or singing in a choir. Some people like a gamified computer training system where they can see progress on graphs.

7 Likes

Thanks, @justlisten. The puntagordahearing blog post confirms that my Costco HIS-trainee didn’t make up the reading-aloud exercise. It’s interesting that the ihear.com article, although otherwise apparently based on the blog post, says,

After a period of time with untreated hearing loss, your brain and ears need to learn to work effectively together again.

– implying that this exercise may be less effective for the long-time HA wearer.

Along that line…

That’ll serve as my excuse for not reading aloud for 10-15 min./day. :slight_smile:

Whew, I’m covered! I’m on a StairMaster listening to podcasts six days a week.

2 Likes