Private Pilot License and Hearing Loss

I’m not really expecting a lot of responses here, but this is worth a shot. Is there any private pilot here?

So, I’m an European guy determined to get a Private Pilot License (PPL). That means: I learn to fly small airplanes for leisure, but not for profit.

At least in Europe, one of the requirements is not to have a hearing loss worse than 35 dB on 500/1000/2000 Hz, and worse than 50dB on 5000Hz. But what does “worse” mean? 35dB over the human hearing threshold, making this requirement equivalent to have a hearing threshold of 55dB on 500/1000/2000Hz?

Alternatively, you can go by hearing and understanding a conversation 6 meters away and facing back from your doctor. I’m pretty sure I can nail that.

TLDR: Is there any pilot with hearing loss that can provide me some guidance on this?

Start with a flight physical, you will get your answer. Alternatively, after flight training you may be eligible for a demonstrated proficiency waiver but will have to complete the process annually.

1 Like

I’m with Psych1 on this, but perhaps first your audiologist could tell you if you meet the standards. No sense investing money and facing the risk of a hard-to-overcome rejection without knowing the answer going in.

I wear aids on both sides with moderate or more loss of higher frequencies, a bit better at lower frequencies. I think in both instances (a designated medical examiner, and one who was a DME but also dealt with HIMS issues and getting people through the system with special issuance medical certificates), all that was asked of me was to repeat a word said at low volume some feet behind me. I was able to do it, though I cannot recall if I was forced to take off my aids.

I wish you well. I don’t fly much any more because of age and being a caregiver, but I try to keep my medical up to date, now under a program that allows your family doctor to conduct a medical exam. I may lose my medical altogether in a few weeks if I am told I need stents in a coronary artery. I can get the medical back, but the path is really torturous and a pain in the butt. Besides, I’m 74.

EliotB
Annandale, VA

This is mostly a US organisation but useful inspiration https://www.deafpilots.org/

The pure tone audiometry requirement is for class 1 (commercial and airline pilots) or class 2 with instrument rating (PPL with instrument rating). If you forgo the instrument rating (as most European PPLs and LAPLs do) then the 6m conversational test or Functional Hearing Assessment (flight with an examiner) applies.

It’s also possible to have your medical and licence limited to areas not mandating the use of radio (i.e. outside most controlled airspace) if you can’t pass the hearing test.

If you’re only flying for pleasure then look into microlights/Ultralights/ULMs. Modern two seaters outperform old Cessnas and Pipers while being cheaper to fly. Depending on which European country you’re in they may have a national microlight/ULM licence (sub ICAO licence) which may use a lower self-certification medical standard such as the standard applied to car drivers, effectively allowing any deaf person to fly.

https://emf.aero/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/MLA_flying_in_Europe-23-06-2023.pdf

You may also have the option of gliding/sailplanes.

Remember you do not have to use the radio of outside controlled airspace and you can fly without a FTROL radio licence.

Make sure you have a good headset to protect your hearing. Bose A20 (not A30) and Lightspeed Zulu are some of the best. Headsets with Active Noise Reduction are more comfortable as passive noise reduction usually relies on clamping the headset to your head. Generally they are large enough to accommodate hearing aids underneath though you will want to give consideration to a comfortable pair of sunglassess too. https://flyingeyesoptics.com/ do some with particularly thin arms for comfort under headsets.

Also keep an eye on technology like Stratus Insight’s ATC Transcription

1 Like

Not sure about European regulations: in the US the hearing “test” is if you can understand a normal conversation when the examiner is 6’ away and facing away from you. If you can pass this, you’re good. If you can’t, then the next step is a more in-depth audio test.

When I get my exam I wear my aid, although I can probably pass without it. So my restriction on my medical says something like “hearing amplification required”. Most pilots will say, “as long as I am wearing a headset with the volume turned up, that meets the definition”, so some will remove their aids when flying.

Again, I don’t know the European rules, but in the US there are plenty of deaf pilots. Radios aren’t required unless you’re in a controlled airspace that does require two-way radio communication. Even then, it’s probably possible as long as you have a second pilot.

Easiest way to know for sure is to contact your aviation examiner ahead of time for a consultation. Maybe even get the hearing portion of your test done. In the US you really want to make sure you will pass before you start the exam, there are too many consequences if you fail.

My son is a pilot (PPL) he has to pass an annual medical. He has a mild cookie bite loss that as yet hasn’t effected his ability to hear or keeping his pilot license.

Wow! Thank you so much for your replies! This is clearly a topic.

I’m not interested in anything else but an European (EASA) PPL license. ULM and LAPL are out of the question.

I’ve heard about the 2 meter conversational hearing test. I’m pretty sure I can nail that. Also, maybe I can meet the hearing thresholds, but I think I might be borderline on that one.

Also, I’ve already have a class II EASA medical certificate, this is just a renovation. My appointment is next week, so let’s see what happens.

1 Like

Well, apparently I passed the hearing part of it! I’ll have definitive confirmation once I get my hands on my certificate.

According to the doctor, your hearing loss has to be pretty significant and noticeable for it to prevent you from flying. And if you don’t meet the hearing thresholds there’s always the “conversation facing away from the doctor” test, and/or you could get a notice on your license stating that you need amplification.

Well, one step more towards flying! I cannot believe I’m doing this :smiley:

3 Likes

Nice! Keep us posted on your progress!

Something to consider when you get started: You’ll want a headset.

Put in your hearing aids, put on your sunglasses, and then put on a headset. Try for worst case. The headset will be pushing against your sunglasses, side of your head, maybe your ears and your hearing aids (especially if you have RIC or BTE). Make sure the headsets don’t cause the hearing aids to squeal from feedback. If there’s any discomfort because of fit, it only gets worse after an hour or two. Start with sunglasses that have a thinner temple piece, if that doesn’t help, you’ll probably be OK with removing the hearing aids and simply using the volume control on the headset. There are headsets like Halo and Clarity Aloft that use those foam hearing protection plugs but have a sound tube in them, similar to a BTE aid. They are very lightweight and good at noise attenuation. You won’t be able to wear your aids with them, though.

Ask around at the airport, check with a few instructors on what they’ve seen, and you’ll probably find a way to borrow some headsets to see what works before you buy.

1 Like