Phonak Naída Lumity L50-UP vs Naída Paradise P50-UP?

Has anyone had any experience between the new Lumity UP aides vs the old Paradise UP aides? I went to the audi today for new tubes and walked out with a trial pair of the new Lumity UP’s. I’m trying to compare the two, but can’t find spec sheets on either aides. I’m curious what each aide consists of. I don’t want to upgrade unless there’s a significant reason to. If anyone has spec sheets or links, that would be great.

Thank you

1 Like

You can find technical information on Phonak’s “Pro” website, but it’s really not useful. There’s a review on here about Naida L-90 UP that is very enthusiastic, but that’s for the more expensive L-90.
What issues are you having with your current hearing aids? Have you had a cochlear implant evaluation?

2 Likes

Phonak Lumity Naida 90 UP BTE Review

Here is the title of a very good review of the P and L Naida aids.

2 Likes

My word recognition is better than that of cochlears. I did just have abutments installed for oticon pontos. Gotta wait til feb to turn em on tho. The issue i am having with phonaks and oticon xceed up’s is occlusion effect. They sound great, but theres tremendous pressure in the low frequencies where i need the most power. I’ve tried venting and using the occlusion effect settings in target, but then after its recalibrated i lose the gain i need in the low frequencies. So i guess I’m mostly curious if the new Lumity aides use the same dual prism processors or not. If they do, i suspect the occlusion effect still remains.

When i wear the aides, over a period of a few days the occlusion effect accumulates then my head feels like its gonna pop from all the pressure. I never had this issue with my naída Q series aides. I have tried numerous audi’s, all the same results. Occlusion effect… I’m hoping the pontos are the ticket but I’d still like backup aides since the pontos are medical devices and no private practices deal with them. If a ponto breaks, dealing with a hospital is a headache and likely a long process. Not like a private practice where you can stop in and drop off the hearing aide and get it back within a week.

2 Likes

I think @tenkan said they do?

I’m just about to get the L90 from the Naida P70.

I wore them for the whole day yesterday. With the same audiogram and settings as my P50’s. Spits out pretty much the same prescription. Nothing really different about them. Still the same issues i am having with occlusion effect. The better clarity is debatable, nothing you can’t fix by adding +1db of gain in desired range of the Paradise aides. The windblock is still thoroughly disappointing compared to Oticon. Not gonna waste my time or money with them. :person_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Weird how different audiograms compare.

I can’t hear any wind at all with Phonak Naida P70 UP even in gale force winds but I can with Oticon Xceed 1 UP, a lot!

Wind Block is turned to 0 on Phonak.

The phonak will block the wind, at the sacrifice of quality hearing anything else. The oticon won’t sacrifice any quality while eliminating the wind, and feedback for that matter in my experience. :person_shrugging:t2:

Yeah there the same in most respects, you’ve seen yourself what Phonak does compared to Oticon, waiting for the next true platform release from Phonak would be a better bet, you may have seen the posts from our resident forum members who have fantastic results going from P to L, so it’s really an individual thing if it’s worth it or not, I’ll tell you what, we’re only just touching on dual core processor’s, next we need quad core, a single chip processing for each environment! We might need some breakthrough for battery technology tho…

1 Like

Well yeah like i said, i put the exact audiogram from my P’s into the trial L’s i have right now and the results are pretty much identical, the clarity may be a touch better but as i mentioned if you added +1db of gain in speech frequencies, thats enough to offset the clarity. Other than the supposed “better clarity” i see no difference in the P vs L. Supposedly the wind management was supposed to be better but its still with the sacrifice of hearing quality when its active. Theres like what appears to be a 5db drop in gain wjen the wind mamagement activates. So if you are conversing when that happens, then its useless in my opinion. I’d rather hear the wind and convo than neither. If it maintained speech then i’d find it useful.

But again, i cannot find a spec sheet on whats actually different about the two. I dont know what either model actually contains. The pair i am trialing are trial aides, so i setup the L90 setting to see if there was anything i cant live without but i’m not seeing anything worth the extra couple thousand. I’m gonna stick with my P50’s for now and hope Oticon releases something impressive soon.

Are you self programming these aids?

Your not alone in this, the real difference in the beholder.

Would of thought that’s easy enough, a good way is through target, as target can open the correct webpages and you could then compare.

1 Like

Well the audi programmed them, then I will fine tune them afterward. I was finally able to get my P50’s to sound alright after like a year of messing with audi’s and self programming. The thing with audi’s, most of them weren’t even aware of occlusion effect, or that target even had an occlusion effect option, so i found that setting to be helpful when applied on “weak”. It seemed most audi’s weren’t fluent in target in general. They all can put a ln audigram in and obviously produce prescribed settings, but the extent of most i have visited was just adding gains, maybe tweaking soft sounds settings or something like that. Outside of that, havent been able to find much help from audi’s, especially once they get paid, its like their job is over. Half heartedly following up, seemingly unconcerned, their committment entirely changes when they get paid :person_shrugging:t2: I’ve been hard of hearing 40 years, since birth. Seen many audi’s… my bilateral hearing loss probably isnt helpful. I have enlarged vestibular aqueducts, which push my stapes open, my bone conduction sucks too, significant reverse slope. All the issues I’m having are in the low frequencies with occlusion effect. Like i said, tried venting to no avail too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.
In all those years of hearing loss have you ever been happy with hearing aids? The reason I ask is the fitter is so very important.

Your comparison of the Naida P and L aids is not really fair for other members to use as data. Your situation is very individual and your self programming has skewed the results to some extent. It’s too bad you haven’t found a good fitter for your hearing loss.

We have a few pros on this forum that will help with programming details if asked nicely.

Are you an audiologist?

Hearing aids were never an issue in my life until the dual prism processors came about. Prior to that, never had an issue.

No, there is an art to programming hearing aids for a given hearing loss. Reverse slopes are a more difficult. Finding a fitter with reverse slopes experience might benefit you with your aids or any aids.
Sorry if I have upset you, sure didn’t mean to.

1 Like

No, I was hoping you were, wanted to ask questions. But yes I’m very aware its a much different approach. It just seems in general the aides aren’t even designed for reverse slopes anymore, almost like their only target is the traditional slope.

But there are many people, some pros and some expert self fitters, on here that have been tremendously helpful. More so than an local pros. I have yet to meet or find a reverse slope expert tho.

1 Like

Have you tried programming those aids yourself from scratch? Save the programming the Audi did first. Start a new client and give it a try.
Follow Target to a Tee using in-situ audiogram. Acoustics properly set in Target is critical.
Keep us posted.

2 Likes

Yes, i have. The audiogram direct helps a lot, because theres the rabbit hole of earmolds… i have occluded molds, vented molds (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm), i even have a pair i forget what thet are called but very long and the tips are not rounded. But then i have to go back and add the bone conduction. Because otherwise the compression is insane without the bone conduction.

Also i have like 25 audiograms from the last 2 years. And they all have varying results. So i’ve tried all those bone conduction results with the audiogram direct results. I have tried all the formulas too… The DSL and APD 2.0 both sound great, just this occlusion effect. So i set the occlusion effect setting on weak, that helps, but then i lose critical frequencies i need…

1 Like

And I’ve tried the prescribed comp, semi linear and linear fittings. I’ve had best luck with occluded molds, APD 2.0, prescribed compression, put the occlusion effect on weak. I turn the MPO’s down a little. But I’m losing significant gains after i do all that, but its comfortable… i struggle. But my head doesnt feel like its gonna explode from occlusion effect.

1 Like