Phonak Lyric 3?

The chance of finding insurance that covers Lyrics is pretty slim from what I can tell. It wouldn’t hurt to try. I’m coming up on a year with Lyrics and they have been great. Some problems with bad batteries -probably a bad batch but I get 6-7 weeks usually.

The Lyric 3 is a small improvement on the second one - primarily it is able to accommodate hearing losses that are worse than previous models; it continues the single module model, and is slightly shorter than the first generation, and can therefore fit more people. I believe they also have improved the volume control capability, but it still uses the magnetic stick to do so.

I have had Lyrics since mid 2014 and to say they are hit or miss is putting it mildly. I’ve had problems with them squealing after awhile to sounding clogged to only amplifying background noise when the volume is increases to sounding like I have water in the ear and just plain quitting after 1 days use. Basically on occasion they seemed to work as advertised but usually its short lived and then some random problem sets in. I get the impression that they (Lyric) doesn’t care or they would have contacted with some help or at least an explanation. I think the high price is to cover this replacement and office time for it or they are losing their tails on the deal. I think its the former, IMO. I wouldn’t recommend anybody wasting their time on them.

Just like you I have an unusual loss with both low and high frequency loss and a nasty peak in the middle. I have tried several aids from several different Audiologists with from poor to dreadful results. I went to a firm which supplies the Lyric and many other brands. They insisted that the Lyric was unsuitable and tried me on a pair of high end Phonak. They were very bad so I returned and insisted on trying the Lyric. They reluctantly inserted a pair and I was instantly delighted with the result. The audi even accompanied me on to the very busy street and I had no problem hearing him in the midst of heavy traffic and pedestrians. Sadly he refused to continue the trial because he claimed one of my ear canals was too tight and short and would be prone to infections. That was a year ago and I am now using a pair of Oticon OPN1 Mini rite with very poor result. For me one of the big advantages of the Lyric was its position deep in the ear in the bony part of the canal. No occlusion or wind noise and great directional sensitivity. With the mic perched behind the ear I now have no idea where sound is coming from. My question is , does anyone if the Lyric comes in a “child size”.

Are you using molds or domes? You could ask for molds that go deeper in the canal.

Lyric introduced a new smaller size earlier this year, the XXS. It has flanges that are thinner and more compliant. Some people who previously rejected the XS size are now able to wear XXS. Might be worth a try in your case.