Phonak Lumity Battery Charging Problem

One day I noticed that after charging both HA whole night, battery was only 50%, so I charged left ear one at work, keeping the right one on as I at least need one HA to hear. After 2 hours, I put both on and noticed the left one I just charged was only 20% but the right one I didn’t charge went up to 86%. Is that normal?

This morning, again after whole night charging, I noticed my left (main) HA battery is only 74% while right one is 100%. This is very weird and gives me a lot of stress worrying the battery will be gone during the day. Any solutions?

1 Like

I totally get how stressful it is to never know what kind of charge you’re going to start the day with. I have Phonak Lumity Life rechargeables and have to always give the aids a little wiggle when I seat them in the charger. Just cuz the light comes on the aids, doesn’t mean they are correctly seated for recharging.

It could also be that your charging base is malfunctioning. Try plugging it into a different outlet. Is your current power outlet turned ON and OFF with a wall switch? That can be a factor if the base isn’t receiving any power.

Finally, can you possibly get a loaner pair of aids while you turn these Lumities in for repair? I have a pair of Lifes going in cuz the battery went from 17.5 hrs a day to just 13 hrs.

So your issue could be multi-factorial. Take it one step at a time and let us know if you find out the cause.

3 Likes

What a great response - helpful to me as I test Lumity Rechargeables.

One more thing: someone in another thread mentioned that the charging pod has SOFTWARE! Who knew? And the software needs to be updated sometimes. This was a surprise to me. I just thought they were little pluggy-inny boxes.

Really? How to update the software of charger?

You didn’t say if you have the regular or Life version of Lumity. Big difference.

The Life version has a battery in the charger and uses inductive (no electrical contacts) charging. That is the version of the charger that has software updates. There have also been a few issues with this charger and some people here have had to have it replaced under warranty.

The regular version of Lumity uses a smaller/standard (no battery) charger with two electrical contacts in each charging slot. You can have issues with that charger if you don’t regularly clean two two small electrical contacts on the bottom of the hearing aids and the two matching electrical contacts within the two charging slots on the charger. If you get junk in the charging slots or don’t push the hearing aids all the way into the slot, you will notice one or both of the hearing aids not charging properly. Also make sure the two wires are not crossed in the compartment in the middle. If one wire or dome is on top of the other, sometimes one of the hearing aids slips upwards and loses contact with the charger. This version of the charger also magnetically holds the hearing aids in the slot so when everything is positioned properly and the contacts are clean, there should be zero issues.

Jordan

4 Likes

I have regular Lumity. I will check and clean it from now on and ensure the HA are placed properly. Thanks everyone for good advices.

Thanks Jordan!

I had asked my HA practitioner if the upgrade for Lumity applied to my Paradise P90’s. Clearly it doesn’t.

I learned more from your post! Now I know why

Hum! I am also completely ignorant of that fact. I guess I’ll add it to the list to ask my audi about. What if the software on charging bases needs updates like our aids do from time-to-time? How come Phonak doesn’t keep a record by serial number of who purchased what aids + charging base? They should be emailing us when it’s time for an update. Instead, we are at the mercy of proactive audiologists who would reach out to us.

And how many do that?

Your audiologist can update the charger base software, just bring it with you.

I have no clue, sadly. I will ask my Audiologist about this. You might like to consult yours, as well.

Completely new train of thought for me. I agree with all these questions.

OK, that’s the one I’ve got TWO of (one for each pair of my Lumity Life aids). Very interesting. I guess I’ll need to find out asap about whether they need a software update, cuz I’d noticed about a month ago, my original pair of Life aids were only giving me 13 hours per day of use (down from 17.5). Maybe it’s as simple as get the update!
:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

The update is for the Lumity charger. It’s not needed for Paradise chargers. My practitioner checked with Phonak Canada