Phonak Bolero Marvel M70 with slimtips

Hi all

A quick early update, on using custom slimtips, with my Bolero Marvel M70s (UK) with thin tubes.

I really liked these UK supplied aids, but domes wouldn’t allow enough high frequency gain, and custom moulds created too much occlusion for my comfort. First fit was very poor though, so I then bought Audeo Paradise P90 RIC and my audiologist recommended slimtips, supplied them and did his magic. I could then hear speech in noise to a more than acceptable standard. At last!

I’ve not given up on the Marvels, so I now self programme them. I’ve tried a few methods but have settled on the NAL-NL2 programme in Target and have got acceptable high frequency gains. I only really use the Music programme. Sadly, with closed domes, feedback would persist too much, so I finally decided to source a second pair of slimtips, to replace the closed (2 holes) domes. They arrived today.

I did a straight swap from domes to the slimtips, without doing any changes in Target. I’ve spent the evening chatting with the wife, and watching the TV, both directly, and via the TV Connector.

Firstly, the unacceptable, out of control, feedback from the domes has gone. Secondly, all sounded very good.

I then tried Paradise in one ear and Marvel on the other (I swapped L&R to similar results). Again, this is very promising, especially as the Marvels are using NAL-NL2, and the Paradise are using Phonaks fitting programme. I couldn’t tell which was which, it was that close.

I shall update on Sunday/Monday, at my next speech in noise environment, a pool match. I also have a Parish Council meeting on Monday where I can compare how the Roger On & Roger Select work in echo with both sets of aids. I finally think I’m getting there on self programming. I thoroughly recommend slimtips for my moderate/severe loss.

Thank you @Zebras , @kevels55 , @DaveL , @tenkan for helping me own my hearing loss. Hopefully, I can give back as much as I’ve received.

Peter

5 Likes

Delighted for you Peter… I am glad the NAL NL2 fitting formula, suits your needs or it is fairly close… It sounds like your new custom moulds, are the dogs dangly bits :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy: You know, we are all kindred spirits on here, between us, we know most of,the trials, are tribulations of hearing loss… But we are all fallible, we make mistakes, but persistence, and a dogmatic approach, eventually win’s through… I love to read success stories on here, it gives me hope, even if it’s a small victory, it’s still a success, when you are in the severe/profound thresholds, any incremental improvement, is a big deal, it gives you such an uplifting experience, more so when it’s off your own bat, with DIY :grin: In the immortal words of Mr Frank Sinatra; “I did it my way”… Thank you for the kind words Peter, I have much respect for your endeavors, we collectively chase that pipe dream, of a much better listening experience… Thank you for sharing this :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

This is good.

I tried all other Fitting Formulas and keep getting better results from NAL 1.

Have no idea why I’m different. I find APD 2.0 really bad for me.

:thinking:

1 Like

@Zebras
I think APD’s feedback manager takes over mine
Peter

1 Like