P90-312 MyPhonak Phone Call Ambient Noise

All:

Here is my setup. I use Apple Car Play in my car (of course iPhone). Recently, I had an incoming call on my phone. For the life of me, I cannot remember if I answered on my car display or phone itself, but the background noise (wind outside of car) almost totally drowned out what the caller was saying to me. I know that MyPhonak app can’t be accessed during a call. It would be nice if I could cut out ambient noises like when I stream music.

I read somewhere to change the mic mode on my iPhone to Voice Isolation and have done so…but I haven’t tested anything yet (my hearing aids were recently repaired).

I saw a few posts here about changing volume and such, but I don’t think that will clarify anything for me…I just need ambient noises cut out…so, I am going to propose that following question to my audiologist tomorrow:

Does anyone have any insight on how to do this? Should I answer calls on my phone or answer by pushing the button on my right hearing aid? Should I avoid answering on the car display (Apple Carplay)?

Thanks all!!!

There is a program in most Phonak phones called comfort in noise, which is very effective, but I have found that the automatic function in my hearing aids fail to switch to it when needed. The solution is to have your audiologist set it up as a selectable dedicated program.

In my case I have a dedicated music program in the number 1 position, and comfort in noise as #2.

Whenever I am in the car, I immediately activate the comfort in noise. It seems to work way better than the noise in car setting.

I even used it while traveling on a flight to DC from the west coast & it greatly reduced the wind and turbine noise in the aircraft. In the car comfort in noise kills most of the road & wind noise.

I suggest giving it a try.

2 Likes

You can change the ambient noise on a call in target, it’s called microphone attenuation, you can have up to -10dB or even turned off if using the phone mic, this can be used by using the HA buttons, but if your using the “true hands free” it looks like -6dB obviously you need the HAs microphone for the caller to hear you.

2 Likes

My audiologist knew exactly what I was talking about and he reduced it to -6db. Quick question: how do I add a photo of my audiogram (its a jpg) to my profile here? Thanks for all your help!

1 Like

Done and easy! Thanks!!!

Just an update on the “ambient noise” during calls with my HA. The -6db change in the Target software along with ensuring “Voice Isolation” mode is chosen ---- works miracles. Almost zero ambient noise and I can hear the call perfectly. Of course, I have the call routing automatically set to Bluetooth!