New custom molds and REM

Had a visit to Costco yesterday to pick up new custom molds. I went from silicone with a concha lock to acrylic skeleton mold. The new molds are big. They will take some getting used to. They’re more challenging to get in and as of yet more noticeable. I’ve only worn them several hours, but I have never have the sensation of them not being there. They’re also visibly quite noticeable. However, they work well. No feedback!
Also had the most thorough REM I’ve had at Costco. Instead of matching a curve, she had a screen that let her see how far off target she was. The goal being to have essentially a flat line meaning 0dB deviation from target. She did this for 50dB, 65dB and 75dB levels. Total process took about 15 minutes and there was a lot of adjusting.

5 Likes

I’m going to get the impressions done for Earmolds on Friday. Why do you feel they’re much more noticeable?

They’re notably bigger and made out of harder material. They’re already much more comfortable but I can still tell they’re there. They might be challenging to insert for somebody with dexterity issues.

2 Likes

That’s good for you.
I wonder if those acrylic molds are suitable for profound losses?

2 Likes

My understanding is that silicone has some advantage for truly profound losses as it can make a better seal. I would guess a snug fitting acrylic with minimal vents could do a pretty decent job though.
Edit: I think key for a lot of people though is having a mold shaped properly to stay seated in the ear. Some people are fortunate and a relatively small mold will stay in place. Many (like me) have ear canal shapes that promote the the mold working it’s way out. To stay in place requires at least a concha lock and perhaps a skeleton or full shell mold. I would guess measures to retain the mold in place are much more important than material.

4 Likes

Good Luck with the new molds @MDB… I am going to try an acrylic mold at some point in the next few months, I used them for years, and then the NHS swapped me over to silicone, I took an allergic reaction to the silicone, they swapped me over to hypoallergenic, I have only used acrylic once since then, Marvel 90 RIC’s, with custom molds… I have always found acrylic more comfortable, and easier to keep clean. Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

I can see easier to keep clean. They really do stay in place well although I think that’s largely the skeleton mold. Thanks for the good wishes and good luck with yours too.

2 Likes

Thank you @MDB, I am going to give the new Naida Lumity UP 675’s a go in the next couple of months, I will order acrylic molds at the same time :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

FWIW I have had silicone molds from Costco for KS10 and now new molds in trial of Philips 9040. If needed, my understanding is: With the blessing of my Costco person, rather than remake mold that is causing slight pressure and quite noticeable after 7 hours or so, that it is fine if I carefully remove some of the material. He feels this is preferable than the mold being remade. When I did this with my prior mold, comfort improved considerably.

My understanding is that removing some material from an acrylic mold is easier than with silicone. I use an electric dremel on slow speed to “sand” off a tiny bit of material and then re-insert HA, and proceed incrementally. I wish there were something like what the dentist uses to check the fit of a crown where you tap tap and it leaves color to indicate the high spots. Very carefully I use a thin metal ear wax remover to probe my ear and gently touch the walls of the canal to see if I can verify where I think the HA is hitting. I think of a clock face and say am able to determine that from about 3 o’clock to 4 o’clock there is slight pressure sensation so I know where to remove some material. If you undertake this, be sure HAs are turned off. Make sure not to get material into mic ports. Be sure to make things smooth. My hunch is that I might be removing 1/64" of material at a time.

MDB, good luck and glad to read that new molds are becoming increasingly comfortable.

3 Likes

I hope they become unnoticeable for you. Are you happy with them otherwise? It seems so?

I was reading about the different materials used for molds and checked out the Westone website. Their acrylic molds have the option of a Flex Canal that warms up when you put them in. I don’t know whether I should try that or just go with silicone. Some silicone makes my ears itch.

I’m definitely getting used to them. I don’t think they are going to be a problem at all and yes, I’m happy with them. They do their job. However, definitely not for somebody who wants something “discreet” The molds are bigger than the hearing aids!

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the info. I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

Interesting (to me) that if you got the molds from Costco that they wouldn’t make the adjustments needed vs telling you to do it. I agree that sometimes it is a simple fix - the one I had (not thru Costco) was so uncomfortable I couldn’t wear it more than an hour. I went back a few days later and they saw the redness/irritation that it caused; audi made some adjustments and it helped significantly.

1 Like

Yeah!!! My audi made in office adjustments to my right mold with tools that were available to him, but not me. He simply did a little shaping and it worked great!~ But he could see what was happening with the mold as it fit in my ear. I can’t. Moreover he’s skilled and has the proper tools, unlike me. Sheesh, telling you to do it yourself seems such a cop out,

1 Like

When I received my Marvels, Occlusion was evident, so with a 3mm drill bit, I increased the vents to 3mm!