Metallic clink in right ear

Hi,

in my right ear, anything that has a “medium” sound lvl (65+ dB) causes a metallic clink in my right ear, I can hear it without HAs when yelling and sligthly when talking, and when I cover my right ear with my hand and talk. I can hear it extremly loud when I use HAs, all kinds of HAs that is.

CIC Q90, Phonak Belang V 50 RIC + Pwer dome, Phonak Naida V 90, Oticon OPN. MY ENT said my ear drums swing normally, made a test, and that I have conductive hearing loss and that I could reach 100% comprehension in 65dB with HAs.

I was tested with HAs and had 100% comprehension @ 65dB and 75% at a lower threshhold.

Still I always hear that metallic clink in my right ear with HAs, which causes my psyche to drop and even though I have a rather good comprehension it could be better without that sound.

I will make an appointment in a clinic later next week, but wanted to ask you guys for your feedback.

Any help greatly appreciated.

As far as I can tell that metallic clink started slightly with my tinitus 10 years ago, but the last couple of weeks it is not possible to ignore it.

10 years ago when I needed HAs I was tested by an ENT and in a clinic and they haven’t found anything specific, however I didn’t mention that sound, as I was unsure of its origin(my ear, or is it the aids, I’m positive it is my ear now).

well for starters there was a filter in my ear and it is better now since it was taken out, might still be some hardened wax somewhere…

I think it has something to do with the way my old molds weren’t properly fitting my canal anymore and my receivers being on their limit. The new OPN1 with the 85db receiver and new silicon (white transparent) domes don’t make these sounds, or barely to a point were I would say they are gone.
Will get c-shells and 100db once I decide which model I take, but I think I will not have that problem anymore.

^^^ That is a very interesting link with info on “superior dehiscence”. I’d never heard of it before, but I do have non-stop tinnitus and pretty bad balance. I also find that when the barometric pressure changes (storms coming, big change to high pressure even) my ears go wonky for about a day. I also wonder if diet & nutrition could maybe help diminish the condition?

LOL! You are lucky the filter was found and removed! Have an ENT check your ears for wax, for sure! Once I had a wax guard “lost” in my ear canal for a good 6 mos. Nothing untoward happened as the thing is TEENY, but it sure freaked me out seeing it rest right at the opening of my ear canal one fine day - months after it had fallen out of my Agil Pro aids.

only seeing this now due to abstinence.

could be the case, symptoms are overwhelmingly the case, will have it checked out, thank you.

edit: then again people said they hear their own body, and that the dizziness is severe, I have slight dizziness and don’t hear anything body related.

hmmm, we’ll see.

Gery_R, When I read your initial post the first thought that came to mind was SSCD (or SCDS). Then I saw you had a filter in your ear, which would certainly cause what you were describing. Unless you hear bodily sounds or have any sensitivity to louder sounds, you probably don’t have SSCD. As you point out, the dizziness isn’t generally “slight.”

yeah, I had my level of discomfort measured, I could go all the way up without having to say stop on both ears.

However if there’s a dominant Frequency, like you would give 1 band an additional 7-10dB, in my left ear I still hear clearly but sense that there’s a Frequency disbalance.

However in my right ear there’s some kind of resonance in that Frequency range and some kind of wave. I don’t hear that crisp in my right ear. Not sure where to start.

But thx for all comments.

testing this video with my tv dadapter. Seems like Frequencies from 500 to 1kHz on the right side seem to resonate with my tinitus and cause this sound. My right ear overreacts at those frequencies…

Will check with removing amp on those frequ. as well as consult a neurologist.

Thank you for sharing. Although I do not have tinnitus, I do hear clicking on my hearing aids through iPhone streaming from this link inside the Youtube app. It may be related to the bug that @ConZ27 referenced.

At frequencies 500 Hz to 1500 Hz, I hear intermittent clicking in the streamed audio. Is this what you refer to when you hear a metallic clink or something else entirely? And do others share a similar clicking experience?

I wouldn’t say it is a clicking, it’s more like a high pitch overlapped to the frequency you hear dominating what is being played.

maybe my amplification is way off on the right side, it’s way louder and high pitched.