Link between Cochlear and resound platform for Bluetooth

I found information that Cochlear is using resound’s bluetootth platform. (Bluetooth SIG)

Baha 5 (prototype i guess) using Resound’s LEWIS platform (Linx)

Baha 5 using Resound’s LEWIS-2 platform (Linx^2)

Cochlear N7 using Resound’s LEWIS-2 platform (Linx^2)

Osia 2 using Resound’s LEWIS-3 platform (Linx 3D)

BAHA 6 max using Resound’s LEWIS-5 platform ( ONE)

Based on the data (speculation):

Kanso 2 is using LEWIS 4 platform (bluetooth 5.0) (Quattro)

Niucleus 8 is using LEWIS-7 platform (bluetooth 5.3) (Omnia)

3 Likes

Interesting stuff.

It agrees with how the Bluetooth quality is with my N7 processors and the K2 processors. The K2 processors are definitely better Bluetooth wise as in distance and stability.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I tried a Google search but couldn’t come up with LEWIS. Is this specific to Bluetooth, or specific to Resound hearing aids as a platform (It made me think of the terms used for platforms on hearing aids. But I see the specifics towards Bluetooth. And I’m not surprised about the Kanso 2 using a better Bluetooth platform than N7, since while Cochlear bases most of the technology of the Kanso on the BTE processor that was previously released… in this case the N7 and Kanso 2, they do upgrade the Bluetooth. I hope they reconsider upgrading the platform of the Kanso given that even though the off-the-ear is a different form factor, it would be amazing to have more upgrades in that 4 years or so that people wait).

But I’m curious about the LEWIS.

LEWIS is the bluetooth chip used in CI and Hearing aid. GN LEWIS their internal code name… you can find it in the bluetooth sig certification.
There is one tested component they unintentional let out in public was N7 bluetooth platform used was LEWIS 2

I hope so, bluetooth is a software defined radio…

1 Like

Updated to add BAHA / Osia

1 Like

LEWIS 4 to 7 is using nRF52840, this mean the hardware is capable of 5.3 and possibly LE Audio!

I don’t know what’s LEWIS 1 to 3 is using but i suspect N7 2019 firmware upgraded to LEWIS-3 HW/SW with part of LEWIS 4 SW platform for Android’s ASHA protocol. (Linx 3D HW/SW and Quattro SW platform hybrid…)

1 Like