How to get Navigation Guidance through hearing aid in iOS/CarPlay

When borrowing a vehicle (with my iPhone connected by Bluetooth to the OEM non-CarPlay head unit) I experienced the unexpected pleasure of having my Google Maps (or was it Apple Maps?) navigational guidance come through my Philips 9040 HAs without coming the vehicle sound system which was streaming some really good music. What a treat to hear the navigation clearly while not disturbing the music I was enjoying!

But now, driving my vehicle with a BOSS BE7ACP CarPlay head unit, with my phone plugged in, I can’t seem to recreate that sonic bliss :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Any of you guys got that working on iOS Witte Apple or Google maps???

1 Like

All I do is make sure that my audio is set on hearing devices on my phone. So when I plug into Apple car it goes to my hearing devices.

I’m not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but it’s what I do and it works for me. But then I’m technically challenged big time ….

1 Like

Hi,It all relys on your Bluetooth to Hearing Aid setting.Play with that for a while or go to YouTube to configure it.If you can stream music via the car audio and hearing aid then there should be no problem doing the same with Maps.Somethin Ive never used and traveled all across the USA,I just know East,North,South and West.LOL!Wouldnt the Navigation display on the Monitor in your car?

When I use my apple map in my car, I do not get voice directions. If I’m not driving the directions go directly to my hearing aids. Any advice on how o get the map directions to go to my hearing aids

Aha! My exact problem, too. I experimented a bit. I have ReSound Omnias, which are Apple MFi hearing aids. In Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, Audio Routing, I have picked “Always Hearing Devices.” But CarPlay by DEFAULT apparently overrides that. If I just get in my vehicle and play a podcast, it will go to the truck speakers instead of my HAs. But in the podcast app or widget, I can touch the output icon, see what output options are available, and for streaming a podcast, change from my vehicle to my HAs, and that switch STICKS. It’s a different story if I try Apple Maps or Waze in CarPlay. The default option is the vehicle, again. If I try to switch to my HAs, the output quickly switches back to the vehicle. But if I go back to the Apple Podcast app, it still streams to my HAs! Perhaps some genius’s crazy reason for this for routing software is that the sound seems better if it’s coming from your vehicle touch screen (stereo sound centered in front of the vehicle) rather than somewhere between your ears, not connected to the map at all.

Today I called ReSound for tech support and I mentioned the odd CarPlay behavior with driving software. The ReSound tech was amazed with my audio routing settings that any sound went to the vehicle speakers at all. He thought the Always Hearing Devices setting should lock streamed output to my HAs. He asked what the source of the sound was and I said that I was pretty sure it was the phone as only apps that I had on my iPhone app appeared in CarPlay and either for Waze or Apple Maps, if I got out of my vehicle without shutting off routing, the routing app would still be running and giving me verbal instructions, now through my HAs after shutting off my vehicle. Since a bunch of folks in this thread report similar behavior, it seems CarPlay is at fault, not any particular brand of vehicle or HA. The tech I spoke to said he’d bring up the problem I mentioned with ReSound programmers and hoped they could induce Apple to make CarPlay more flexible (CarPlay is Apple’s program, not any HA OEM’s).