How do people with poor hearing handle going to the movies?

Do you ask for those hearing devices that you wear? I tried them once and they just seemed to amplify the sound. They didn’t help with speech clarity.
I usually just watch movies at home with captions but have been invited to go with friends to a movie and lunch. I agreed to go. I will probably understand less than half of the movie. Do you just enjoy the visuals or do you not go to movie theaters anymore when you don’t understand much? I already bought my ticket and it is a package deal that the group bought for both lunch and movie so I can’t get a refund.
Are there any tips for using the hearing device that they have available at the theater?

In most movie theater the sound is so loud I have to lower the volume of my aids most to the way down, to almost muted. The same for going to a music concert.
My feelings about closed captions is simple if I have to have it I will just stay home and read the book. In other words I can’t stand to try to watch a movie and read the captions.

2 Likes

It depends on the owners of the theater. Some offer open caption for some shows.

The major chains generally do a poor job. However, if the demand was there, they would do much better.

Our locally owned theater does a great job. They offer the following:

ASSISTIVE LISTENING - Headsets with enhanced audio

NECKLOOP FOR T-COIL USERS - Device plugs into our headsets

CLOSED CAPTIONING - Caption devices at your seat

AUDIO DESCRIPTION - actions on the screen are described to listener via headset

OPEN CAPTION WEDNESDAYS - watch films with captions without extra equipment

4 Likes

I suspect that folks with normal hearing have problems understanding what is being said too.

Hopefully, Auracast will make things much better for us with Auracast hearing aids and headphones.

Sadly, I don’t have a good answer to your question, since I haven’t been to a movie in years.

I always take off my HA at the movies.
the sound is so loud so I hear perfectly

3 Likes

I will get a caption device if it’s a non open caption movie, along with using tcoil if the theatre offers it.

2 Likes

When I go to a movie theatre with a variety of assistive listening options (usually two), I usually get them both so that I can see which one works best for me. I don’t usually have an issue getting what the theatre offers; however, if there is, I just say that my spouse needs one.

1 Like

Well, I never thought of that! Very clever idea, thanks,

1 Like

@user990 Wow! Now that’s accommodation! That company should be nominated for a special award.

@montieth Movie theatres are such a difficult environment for hearing loss. The default eardrum-blasting volume makes it almost impossible to wear hearing aids. I haven’t gone to a movie in years. I went to a play earlier this year because my sister invited me; the same problem. With respect to your situation, what comes to mind are those receiver gadgets that you attach to your body, but that wouldn’t work because it requires the speaker to wear a microphone, unless there is similar adaptive technology. If you have different programs set up for your hearing aid, I would suggest TV/audio setting while turning down the volume.

I only go to places that have Sony Access glasses. In fact I bought my own receiver and charger since a few times the battery died mid-movie. I agree with others that say nothing can be done about actually listening. Even regular folks miss a lot in some movies.

Sometimes I turn my hearing aids off and use them for earplugs instead.

1 Like

All these responses are so helpful. I think the closed captions wednesday would work best for me so will do some research. Summer outdoor movies are probably out altogether.

1 Like