Help me understand my Hearing Loss

I had a mixed loss before very strong medication took more of my hearing.

Before I lost more hearing, my right ear middle ear bones got replaced with a T shaped implant.

They didn’t do my left ear so my left ear middle ear bones are still deformed.

Does that still make my left ear as mixed loss even tho I’m now No Response with BC levels now?

I’m quite confused as my middle ear bones are still deformed yet I’m No Response on the BC levels.

1 Like

It’s hard to know. The bone oscillator simply cannot go loud enough to determine clearly whether your hearing loss is now all sensorineural or whether there’s still a mixed component. The sort of build-up of bone that would result in a stapedectomy can, over time, extend to the cochlea and cause a sensorineural hearing loss.

You can sometimes make a good guess from aided WRS as to whether there is still a conductive component. Usually the clarity is quite low for someone with your loss if it is entirely sensorineural, and when it is surprisingly good relative to the loss I would expect a conductive component.

4 Likes

This is exactly how it feels, compared to before my loss got worse.

Thank you. That’s good to know.

1 Like

@Zebras

Ruth I’m so grateful to see you here. You have helped me so much. My hearing is improved and my life on the forum is so much better because of your posts. You make a huge difference.

I met a man who had host his hearing in one ear completely due to prescribed medicine he had to take. As a result, he had a cochlear implant. He had severe balance issues. He became a friend. He taught me lots because I broke my right shin badly. I lost touch when they declared me surplus because they had no work for me. Long story.