Hearing test for drivers license

Most states have vision tests before issuing drivers licenses with requirements that glasses be worn when appropriate. Should the same be done with hearing and hearing aids?

Where I am there aren’t hearing requirements for a standard license, but there are for various professional licenses.

I saw a car with a “Deaf driver” sticker this week.

1 Like

On a scale of things to make driving safer I would first put limiting darkness on tinted windows, enforcing traffic laws (signalling, etc) and of course distracted driving (AKA driving without due care and attention). Being able to hear is an asset, but unless you rip sound systems out of everyone’s car it’s pointless.

5 Likes

The restriction I have is, I must have outside mirrors’.

I think it’s a GREAT idea. Not only will many MANY more drivers find out they have a hearing issue that’s been ignored or denied, but it’s a clear safety issue!

In my USA state, the driver has to state if they WEAR hearing aid or glasses. That info is included on the driver’s license ID card so if the person is stopped they dang well better have aids IN and glasses ON.

Deaf people can and do drive. At one time I lived near a family having three deaf drivers. Blind. not so many.

2 Likes

I was told since 2002 when I got my Commercial Driver’s License that my hearing was not so good but they always passed me anyway. I ignored it. I ended up getting HA’s in 2012. I’d say yes on a test for someone driving Commercially but I wouldn’t burden regular drivers.

Not being able to hear sirens or screeching braking or horns or alarms I think would be very dangerous whether driving commercially or personally

Not really. Just stay aware, and you’ll be a better driver than 80% of the people on the road.

2 Likes

I have an story: When I got my medical fitness renewal for my driver’s license, I told the examiner that I had a slight hearing loss, corrected with hearing aids. She immediately put a marking in my license that would have forced me to always with my hearing aids. She didn’t ever check my hearing.

I had to get a doctor’s note stating that my hearing is fine to drive unaided.

Lesson learned: The next time, I won’t way shit.

Then why not advocate for banning audio systems (car stereos), hands-free phone usage, and high end autos that are so well soundproofed no outside noise intrudes?

What if you wear IIC aids or Lyrics? Do the police carry an otoscope to verify?