Firmware update Oticon OPN 1

I’ve had these since 2017 and have always used an app on my phone along with them. That app quit working and I was advised to get a different app, which I did. That one didn’t work either. Oticon advises me I need to get the firmware updated. To do this, if it’s even possible, I need to see an audiologist who will charge me $100+ for the privilege.

There must be a better way. What is it?

1 Like

Why did it “quit” in what way does it not work?

Again why does it not work?

So you wanna get this done just so you can use an App? Why would you do this, doesn’t make a lot of sense to me anyway.

Are you using android or iPhone?

Well there is a another way, but it’s more expensive, you could DIY, I think those older models would need a HiPro.
Have you considered updating your HAs, could be a good reason to check out Costco.

I have the Oticon OPN 1 and I find the ON app on my iPhone to be really not necessary because the iPhone MFI interface gives you most of the same functions anyway. If you’re using Android, then that may be different, but not a whole lot. You can make program change and volume change just using the hard buttons on the OPN 1. You can even mute using the button, something which can’t be done using buttons on the rechargeable Real or More.

Learn to make do without the app. If you find the app absolutely essential for you, then name which function on the app that you can’t live without and we’ll see if there’s an alternative to show you.

1 Like

The app on my iphone allowed me to adjust the audio balance of each HA independently. When I recently tried to use the app, it said this app would no longer work, and that I should get this newer app. I got the newer app, but it tells me it doesn’t work with my HA’s. Then I check with Oticon and they tell me to get the firmware update.

Doesn’t iPhone have this feature too, android phone has each volume independently.

1 Like

My iPhone for my Oticon Xceed do. :+1:

2 Likes

My old aids are the OPN1. The new Oticon Companion app works with them, and indeed the native iOS hearing aid support lets me change programs, adjust volume and check battery life without using the app.

For doing your own adjustments, you need a HiPro, the ribbon cables and a copy of the Oticon software. All of these are available (the latter isn’t public, but there are people who can hook you up.) I have them all.

I’ve since replaced my OPN1 aids with Philips 9040, so don’t really need the programming stuff anymore. That said, there hasn’t been an OPN1 firmware update in a few years. and I never noticed any improvement when I did the updates.

You can use the NoahLink Wireless to do programming with the Oticon OPN as well if you’re a DIY person. But for firmware update, however, I think the OPN still requires the hardwire interface like the HiPro or the miniPro.

The latest firmware on the OPN (which I think I have) works fine with the new Oticon Companion app for me. I suspect that the OP doesn’t have the latest OPN firmware, and that’s why Oticon told him that he needs to get the latest firmware update for the OPN in order to make it work with Companion.

But you’re correct that there hasn’t been a firmware update for the OPN for a long time already. The latest firmware update for the OPN that I have seems to help reduce the frequency of random reboots, and also seems to make the connectivity between the OPN and the ConnectClip to be a little more reliable, at least for my case.

1 Like

I found that I can adjust my hearing aid levels on my iphone without the benefit of an app, so problem solved.