Comparing my hearing tests

My hearing aid warranty was about to expire so audiologist sent them in for final work over. Luckily for me they sent back two new replacements. While getting fitted the audi did a quick test of my hearing (which became a full test once she noticed some differences). Below is my test from ‘21 and then yesterday’s test……

Not only is my hearing falling off (I would say rapidly???) what she was worried about was my word recognition scores……

She asked if she could make me a CI evaluation. Really not sure why as I struggle a bit but a CI???

Has any others had something similar?

I tried a Baha before on headband but not sure the difference was worth it (although my scores were not this bad then!)

Like to hear any suggestions, comments etc

@Johnmurphy Have you had Cowid or Cowid Wax?

Hm. You’ll surely get more advice here, but check out my own audiogram from 2022 (connected to my avatar). No CI yet, cuz weirdly, I seem to do fabulous with Phonak Lumity Life aids - power speaker, silicone domes and all.

I DO think I’d pursue anything that could boost word recognition, and here’s where both YOU and the test results can be used. Do you feel that your hearing or word comprehension is going down?

Keep us posted on your situation, and I hope you have a very good outcome!

Yipes. I had cowid wax 2 Fridays ago and it seemed correlated with heart palpitations when laying down and balance issues, both of which began about 20 hrs after the jab but have diminished over the past couple weeks. Hope that’s the extent of issues, cuz we know we are all GONNA get JN.1 at some point - I probably already have for all I know.

If either ever impact my HEARING, I will have to start carrying a slate and chalk. There’s no more to lose.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That strikes me as a significant loss, both in decibels and word recognition. Although I doubt you’d qualify for CI now, getting an eval would provide you a lot of information. It also seems likely that if you don’t qualify now, there’s a good chance you will in the future. Might as well learn your options

1 Like

Presuming you mean “Covid”……no to both.

1 Like

The first thing that comes to my mind is your word understanding scores are lower than I would expect with your hearing loss.

Were your hearing aids properly fit for your hearing loss the past few years?

Do you spend a lot of time alone? As in not talking and listening to people often. COVID really hurt a bunch of people’s word understanding from the isolation. The good side of this is you can get a bunch of that word understanding back with lots of practice if solitude is the source.

I don’t know enough details about your hearing loss. There sure could be more to it.

1 Like

Actually the opposite. I’ve been extremely social and with people daily. Regarding the hearing aids….ive had several appointments each year and I share audiology dr as my year is split between states. Therefore I feel my hearing aids have been set quiet accurately.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I was hopeful some or one of my questions might be something to look into.

One thing about a CI evaluation is it doesn’t hurt and it can sure answer some questions about your hearing. It would also be another opinion about your aids and hearing loss and a look into possible medical issues causing the hearing loss.

Your left ear word understanding does fall into CI territory but neither right or left audiograms do, I could be wrong. During the CI evaluation you will also be tested for word understanding in noise if needed. This test can be an eye opener for many.

Good luck with this.

2 Likes