Books and useful resources for someone wanting to learn how to cope with hearing loss

Hello, I am fairly new to this forum. In my only previous post, a responder helpfully suggested a book, Hear & Beyond, Live Skillfully with Hearing Loss by Shari Eberts and Gael Hannan. I got it and it’s proving very helpful. I am interested to know what other books or resources might be helpful. Thank you for any suggestions.

1 Like

I am someone that has been wearing hearing aids almost 20 years, my advice for what it is worth is be patient with yourself and the aids. Be proactive about insuring that your aids are adjusted right, this requires a healthy relationship with your audiologist. And wear your aids all day everyday until you can’t live without them.
You really need at least annual hearing test. You need at least twice a year to have your aids checked by your audiologist or the hearing technician in the clinic. If you have issues with word recognition get in the habit of reading along with audiobooks, or as I do to have a program that will do text to speech and follow along with the listening by reading this will help you with word recognition.

2 Likes

Dear CV

Thank you for this advice. I never would have thought of reading along with audiobooks…going to try it.

with best regards, Zeno

2 Likes

VOLUME CONTROL

HEARING IN A DEAFENING WORLD

by DAVID OWEN

I found this to be a slow start, but well worth it. I have the first book you recommended. It has helped me to become a better advocate.
I shared the title with my Audiologist. He quit on me; I have no idea if he read it. He should!

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

The book I recommended below has excellent content. It takes a while to find it. He discusses the reasons our hearing aids are so expensive. He reveals the construction cost is really low, so the profit margins are high.

Cost is one of the fatal flaws for us.
So is finding the right person to set them up.

And finally, why is it so stressful finding a source for replacement hearing aids? It should be easy!

I have had 3 sets of Phonaks. My last set has been the most difficult to get set up properly. Spent 2 years trying. Should be plug-and-play.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

I have read it and recommend it to all of the new veterans that are getting hearing aids for the first time and also to the ones struggling to get use to hearing aids for who knows how many times.

1 Like

Dear Dave, dear CV,

Thank you for these responses. I am going to get the book you recommended.

with best regards, Zeno

1 Like

I’m reading one recommended by @DaveL written by 2 ladies “Hear and Beyond”.

Their statement on “embracing your hearing loss”, is very true to get the best out of HA’s. It’s a good read, and reassuring, as I’d already started following their recommendations. I’m half way through.

Peter

1 Like

The book changed my life.
I was having a hard time getting my Paradise P90’s to work.

DaveL

1 Like

Highly recommend this book!–“Volume Control”.

@mystuart

Thank you!

I literally just finished Volume Control and put it down. I like it too and appreciate your recommendation.

DaveL
toronto

1 Like

@PeterH

Peter someone here reviewed the book.Hear & Beyond. I liked it so much I recommend it if I think it will help.

Dear Dave,

Yes, it was recommended and I am reading it now. Very helpful!

with best regards,

Zeno

1 Like