Assistive Listening Devices

I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses the Assisted Listening Devices at concerts and movie theatres etc. How do you connect the receiver to your HA’s?

1 Like

You asked about the devices they have at the concert/movies. My only experience at movie is with captioning devices. The ones I’ve used work fairly well, take some fiddling sometimes to get the caption line located on a way that doesn’t block the picture. Some are wearable, others fit in the cup holder and display on a small adjustable screen. All are better than nothing.
At concerts, I’ve only run into hearing loops, which work thru a telecoil in your HA. It depends entirely on what kind of concert, telecoil needs a single-source microphone. Those work extremely well, also for lectures, church services, etc. Many HAs have a t-coil you just switch on via an app or a button on the HA.
There are also FM transmitters that work thru a headset the event venues would offer. My experience with these is that they vary a lot and depend on the quality of the headset, etc

At my old church you could get an FM receiver from the sound booth. I plugged the media cable from my Roger on mic into the headphone jack on the receiver. It worked pretty well as long as the sound guy remembered to turn the transmitter on and send it sound from the board.

Hope this helps.

WH

I have not yet come across a looped establishment in Ontario but I have seen several with FM or IR broadcasting. I can borrow their receivers and use headphones or earbuds as there is no easy way to connect to my HA’s. I understand that people with t-coils can plug the receiver into a neckloop but without a t-coil I would need to take along a Bluetooth transmitter. This then becomes too cumbersome so I manage without hearing assistance.

You would need an intermediate device like a mic or a clip to act as go between. Without knowing your kind of HAs, I can’t begin to engineer a solution.

WH

I have Phonak Paradise with no t-coil and no Roger devices. I guess I could use a Bluetooth transmitter as an intermediary. I will research a suitable device.

1 Like