Apps on I-phone interfere with microphones on hearing aids

I have Phonak Marvel aids that I use with an I-phone. Whenever I open an ap on my phone it intereferes with the microphones on my aids so that my hearing become muted as the aids (I beleive) think I want to listen to the sound that might be coming from my phone. Most of the time this is just an annoyance and if I think about it ahead of time I shut off my bluetooth so that whatever I’m doing on my phone won’t interefere with my aids. 2 examples- I was at a store recently and wanted to show the clerk a picture of an item someone had texted me. As soon as I opened up my text messaging to open the picture that had been sent to me the microphone shut off and I could no longer hear the clerk talking to me. 2nd example I’ve loaded the Nal Scribe speech to text ap onto my phone. If I open it with disabling bluetooth my phone shuts off my mics. I would really like my default setting for the mics to never shut off. Is this a setting I can adjust on my phone or does my audiologist need to change a setting or if this even possible. Thanks.

You need to deactivate all notivications on your phone. Imagine all the sounds omitted by the phone are diverted to bluetooth instead of the phone’s loudspeaker. Even if these sounds are very short or at the lowest level.
The phone keeps this diversion for sevaral seconds. During this time your HAs mics are lowered as they are programmed for streaming.

3 Likes

Yes, but will deactivating notifications solve the problem of all applications, such as Messages, muting the mics even if the app is emitting no sound?

Some apps have their additional settings regarding notifications or other sounds.
If the problem still occurs one might need to check for each app in which it happens.

Thanks for the tips. Went into notifications and turned all of them off except for messenger. I still need to be able to know when I get a text from certain people but I think using the “focus” setting I can set to only get test notification from certain people and avoid the random text that interupts my hearing.

1 Like

I have an Android phone, but I am wondering if you are seeing something similar to me.

Do you have/use the MyPhonak app on your phone?

On mine, whenever the phone is activated (notifications, apps, or even unlocking the screen), the app switches my program from whatever I have it set to, to "Bluetooth Streaming +Mic.

There is an “Ambient Balance” button at the bottom that seems to adjust microphone volume (or maybe bias between mics and streamed sounds)

Moving the slider to the left will increase the volume coming from the mics. When it’s all the way to the right I get a symptom just like what you describe

1 Like

For Facebook, turn off In App Sound in the Facebook App.

Similar will be for other Apps.

I think that was the app where the keystrokes drove me nuts when typing. Notifications weren’t just messages coming in. It was also “you hit the a key” etc. i turned it off. My watch vibrates….

WH

I’ve shut off notifications on all the apps I can see under “notifications”. I had downloaded Nalscribe so I can “see” what people are saying. This ap does not appear in notifications. If I open this app it mutes or lowers the microphones on my aids. My only work around is if I’m going to open this App is to turn off blue tooth so my phone can’t talk to my aids while I’m using it. Just annoying. I like using my Phonak app on my phone but I’d like it to only affect my aids when I tell it to like when I want to play music or watch TV. To reply to an earlier question as best as I can tell my aids are remaining in “auto” when this is happening and not switching to the bluetooth streaming.

1 Like

I have my mics set up to be fully on, when bluetooth is transmitting, and at the same level, so bluetooth sound just jumps in there. If i need to hear bluetooth exclusively i manually (button push) mute my mics.

1 Like

This. Something to change in the programming of the hearing aid rather than the phone. As well as controls on hearing aid, iOS also has the option of turning off the microphone of MFi hearing aids when you do want to listen to something on the phone without background noise.

Although there does still seem to be a momentarily cut out of the microphone when an app starts playing sound.