1 in 6 of the UK, has some form of hearing loss

Interesting statistics folks (see link below) on hearing loss in the UK, I am sure there are perhaps similar statistics worldwide? Apparently over 6 million, would benefit from hearing aids, but only 2 million or so, actually wear hearing aids! 900,000 severe/profound, was a big surprise! Cheers Kev :wink:

Deafness & hearing loss facts - Hearing Link Services.

5 Likes

Interesting article.
Industrial nation??
Makes think about how hearing loss will be in Asia in 20 years.

1 Like

I know Rick, it makes you wonderā€¦ Up until approximately 20 years ago, it was 1 in 7, I used to order the Hearing Loss Magazine, and that was what it was called, " 1 in 7 ", so there has been a big increase in numbers, much of that will be down to, folks living longer, but certainly heavy industry took its toll, for sure! Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

That is a huge, untapped market for manufacturers. Perhaps they can try dropping their pricesā€¦

2 Likes

Maybe not so huge @RobHooft, millions of these potential users, will have been fitted with NHS issues hearing aids! They sit in drawers up and down the country, never to see the light of dayā€¦ I witnessed this personally, when I worked with ā€œDeaf Servicesā€ I did loads of home visits in the Scottish Highlands, the amount of ill fitting molds/moulds I encountered was staggering, mainly elderly folk, going about their day, with a permanent feedback whistle, or folks unable to wear their aids, simply because they where in excruciating pain if they did so, their moulds where too tight! Now, do I think the NHS Audiology Departments are a poor reflection of the private sector, no I donā€™tā€¦ The problem is time or the lack of it, no follow up visits, so the aids donā€™t get adjusted, NHS A.uDā€™s are perhaps overwhelmed, underpaid, and understaffed!!! They are forced to issue older technology because of budgetary constraints, and when you throw all of the above into the mix, folks become totally disillusioned, they believe they donā€™t get any real benefit from their aids, so in the drawer they goā€¦ That is the mainstream of the service, but there are many brilliant A.uDā€™s within that service, (I know a few) eventually they see the light, they jump ship to the private sector, as they are unable to perform, at what they do best, what they where trained for, so the NHS Service loses another dedicated A.uD, whom will probably not be replaced? It must be sheer frustration, when you know you have the ability too improve someoneā€™s quality of life, but you canā€™tā€¦ Because of time & money! Cheerā€™s Kev :wink:

5 Likes

Kev your comment brings back issues I had with my first HA. It was a Widex in the earā€¦it hurt. It was my stress meter. It sat in my pocketā€¦
Iā€™m very leary of getting, mouldsā€¦

My HAā€™s are workmanā€™s comp. So they are dispensed here and maintained by qualified individuals.

1 Like