Windows 11 to add Bluetooth LE support for hearing aids

Definitely interested in hearing how this works out. I’m guessing it should give you LE Audio and hopefully Auracast capability but pretty sure it won’t give you some of the fancy notification stuff shown on the video. That sounded like it was restricted to new Intel CPUs. (always something to try and tempt us :>)

1 Like

The bulk of updates I’ve seen recently, and far more recent ones too, are Intel BT devices. Intel is openly actively addressing hearing aid support per their https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/bluetooth-le-audio-overview-infographic.html

Where this leaves users, like me, with old Realtek BT chips inside is anyone guess.

1 Like

I think anybody with replaceable BT chip (open M2 slot) should be good. If not, would require new BT dongle (when they become available) or new machine.

The WiFi 7 Intel Be200NGW module is now out for Bluetooth LE 5.4, which should be the most compatible with Auracast.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/230078/intel-wi-fi-7-be200.html

https://www.newegg.com/intel-de200/p/14U-010T-00004

3 Likes

I found that some of the higher end WiFi/BT cards from Intel require a Intel 12th generation or higher CPU version and motherboard that supports the CNVio2 protocol.

My computer is a 9th Gen. So I might mis out on some features. I’m thinking my HAs will likely stay paired to my Pixel 8 anyway. I just like to tinker.

4 Likes

My plan is to wait until there is separate Auracast transmitter that I can hook up to the output of my audio mixer. Currently have my PC, a TV, and android PC box connected to the mixer with the output directed to a soundbar, all using 3.5mm audio connectors.

1 Like

Was reading some about the CNVio2 protocol. My this gets complicated!

Yeah, Intel, that’s so not gonna happen! I’ll stick with headphones.

Yes- my PC has intel i7 inside, which Microsoft says is not good enough for Windows 11 (an i5 chip is fine, apparently), so I will stick with Windows 10 forever- and, anyway, prefer headphones when at my desk.

1 Like

Rob, that’s gotta be an old i7. Any newer processor would work with W11, but likely need a new motherboard/computer too. Headphones sounds better than streaming to me too, and what I use most.

I installed the Intel AX210NGW card this morning. I had to lookup a video on how to open up the XPS 8930 case and get the video card out. Otherwise it was easy enough, if your eyes/thumbs can handle small screws.

3 Likes

What slot did you find in the 8930 to insert the card in, and is it a “Special Edition” Dell XPS 8930 or Dell’s more standard configuration?

1 Like

Good news everyone!

And did you get connection/streaming working with HAs? If so, which models?

It’s a M2 slot adjacent to the (PCIe?) slot my video card plugs into. This M2 lays flat on the motherboard.

Not sure about special edition. I ordered an i9 with 32GB of ram and the biggest optional video card they offered for this model at the time.

2 Likes

The SE version in the spring of 2020 came with an Intel i9-9900K processor that could run at 4.7 GHz (single CPU) and an 850 Watt power supply, allowing you to run more powerful GPUs. The standard edition just came with a less powerful i9-9900 processor (no K) and a 460 W power supply. The K version of the i9 also came with a better socket heat sink and a nicer looking tower case. Sounds like you bought the SE version if you got the biggest GPU Dell offered. I have an NVIDIA RTX 3090 mounted on a stand outside my case and the cover of the machine off so the required GPU wires can run into a PCIe board sitting in the GPU slot. See the following Dell community discussion. https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/xps-desktops/xps-8930-vs-xps-8930-se-major-differences/647f877ff4ccf8a8de6baaba

I’ll have to check if the slot you mentioned for the new Bluetooth board is accessible/useable for all the offer junk I’ve put in my computer.

1 Like

I have a i9-9900K processor, so I guess it is SE.

The M2 slot is between the PCIe slot and the power supply, close to the back edge. You might (but I doubt it) have to remove something other than whats in the PCIe slot to give working room.

1 Like

How many M2 slots does it have? Newer SSDs is the other thing that takes M2 slots.

At least 1, that’s all I was interested in.

I googled up a YouTube video for the computer I have. It showed me what I needed to know before I ordered the card.

Let us know when you get your new card to work with a client device (HAs?) using LC3. Does the card also support classic Bluetooth use at the same time? Or do you have to turn off one protocol to use the other, like using two Wi-Fi adapters in the same computer? I’m away from my computer for a while but as MDB says, I think I put a 1 Tb SSD in the M2 slot (the slot I used was a 4x1 PCIe slot). But moving my graphics card outside the computer freed a couple slots that were uselessly covered by the OEM GPU, IIRC.

BTW, my in-laws upgraded their Wi-Fi router to a Sagemcomm WI-Fi 6. My Thanksgiving holiday surprise was discovering the all Surface devices thru Surface Pro 6 have a Marvell adapter that is not upgradeable to Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 ax). So I had to buy a USB Wi-Fi 6 adapter to get online while visiting with a SP2. (The alternative would have been to ask the relatives to temporarily downgrade their router protocol to Wi-Fi 4 or 5, slower, more latency, less secure).

I thought most newer routers would be backwards compatible by default. I have an older Wi-Fi 5 router that I need to set up separate 2.4 and 5 gHz logins. I set up guest logins that are turned off unless I have guests. I guess depends on how tech competent people you are visiting are. I’m surprised somebody has all modern devices that use Wi-Fi 6. Heck until recently my Kindle required 2.4.