Widex SmartRIC aids now out

LOL! I bet you need to borrow the owner’s cell phone and turn it off from the phone app loaded on it - under their own proprietary user account with Widex, which you don’t have access to.

Guffaw!

You’re right, I forgot about powerful big servers of Adobe behind the AI technology.

Strangely enough it was grey’d out when I tried it (in Connexx not compass) for some reason.

@Neville I would guess the hearing aids are turned off by a long press on the single button.
That is how I turn off my Widex Moment HAs which have a single button.

1 Like

They have no button.

2 Likes

@Neville Apologies, you are correct, my mistaken assumption.
I went and looked at the videos on the Widex website which showed the only way to turn the aids on or off are via removal from/insertion into the portable charger.
I make regular use of the on/off button on my Moment HAs so a hearing aid missing this physical feature is a “no buy” for me.

So if you find yourself short on battery, and don’t have the charger with you, you can’t eke out the remaining time by shutting the aids off until needed.

I can see that the shape doesn’t lend itself to a regular button. But perhaps they could have included one of those little dimples that you press with a paper clip to force power off or reset.

There doesn’t seem to be an off function in the app either.

I suppose they could have accommodated a button built into the mic cover, or on the back at the bottom like oticon.

The more I wear these, however, the more I like them. It really is a comfortable and attractive fit on the ear. The idea of marring it with a button makes me a bit sad. Maybe that’s how they felt, too. It’s kind of like a styletto that’s taking a bow. I like it better than the styletto.

1 Like

There must be an another way to turn them off, so no button, ok so what about a tap function? Can’t be just the charger, that would be a step backwards.

Turns out you can stick a magnet to them and that will turn them off.

3 Likes

Ya, old school back in vogue!

1 Like

Included with the pack? Available as an optional extra from Widex for $149.95?

2 Likes

With the moments I can mute the aids with the TONELINK app. May be able to connect to this app to do it if no other option?

That’s a great idea, I’d forgotten all about that, my Signia have this feature as well( makes sense their both owned by WS Audiology)

1 Like

Can you turn them back on with a magnet?

1 Like

Any ideas on dimensions for these?

LOL!!! Magnet ON/OF - and definitely NOT included in the kit when you buy a pair.

Why do I feel that buying a pair of HAs is like whack-a-mole? You no sooner get SPEECH CLARITY but you lose BATTERY OPERATED. Or you buy AI in a pair of aids that CAN’T BE TURNED OFF. Or how about a RECHARGEABLE pair of aids whose CHARGER NEEDS UNANNOUNCED SW UPDATES OR IT STOPS RECHARGING? Or you buy AIDS THAT STREAM WITH PHONE but it ONLY STREAMS TO ONE EAR (cuz let’s face it, deaf folks need to keep their frustration level up and work HARD to hear on the phone).

I’m gonna mail a set of crystal, sieved wineglasses to the prez of these companies, so they can toast their new releases and successes even as wine dribbles down their tuxedo shirts. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

@1Bluejay

Made me smile…

except…

I think the issue is the way HA’s are sold. We’re not the customer. The firm dispensing the hearing aids is the customer. It’s kinda like multi level marketing.

Gotta keep those customers happy. Make more sales.

whack-a-mole. I like that.

DaveL

I had the SmartRic 440 for nearly 2 weeks and just returned it. While speech clarity was great and battery life was amazing, the streaming quality was the absolute worse. With how many calls I do on my phone + videos + music, it didn’t make sense for me to keep it.

2 Likes

WOW - Great feedback! Cuz I was looking at a sleek Widex SmartRIC yesterday at my audi’s (it was set into a special display). Yeah, that is a SEXY looking hearing aid, but with no buttons whatsoever on the AID, I wondered how practical it would be in my real life. I’m offen getting a phone call with phone in completely different room. It’s not like I WEAR A PHONE like some kind of necklace. I just don’t see the practicality of having NO buttons to do one thing on those aids without a phone.

Streaming would be the nail in the coffin’s lid for me. Gotta have that with the phone calls I make throughout the day. Thanks for sharing!