What happens to hearing aids that are returned after a trial?

I trialed Phonak Audeo Lumity at the VA before settling on Oticon Real 1. I asked my Audi what happened to the returned HAs. He said they were sent to the manufacturer and salvaged for parts. That seemes extremely wasteful. Does anyone know for sure what happens to returned HAs?
Big John

1 Like

This thread talks about what happens.

4 Likes

I asked my audi that question when I traded in my nearly new More 1s for Real 1s. She said they go back to Oticon for “remanufacturing” (I assume that’s inspection, testing, repair, and cosmetics) and are then sold as “remanufactured” at a discount through non-retail channels. She didn’t know what those channels are.

1 Like

What prevents hearing aid sellers from wiping off a returned aid and shipping to another customer as new or for a trial?

Nothing really, but given the plastic casing is probably 0.1% of the cost of the aids - I would think they and put them in new shells and retest the electronics.

1 Like

Many years ago a buddy of mine was working his way through college. He got a summer job with a company called Conair. they make hair dryers and stuff like that. he said when he reported for work he was led into a large warehouse and shown a huge pile of returned items. He was told he was to pick them up one by one and throw them against a brick wall in the warehouse to destroy them. any pieces that remained intact also had to be picked up and thrown against the wall until they broke. His arm gave out in a couple of weeks and he quit. I am serious about this.