Roger ON V2 - in trial now

OK. And this would be better than putting the stick in “Pointer” mode? I ask cuz I only had the one soft-talker across from me, so could that have been another option?

Music at these food shacks is piped through ceiling speakers, so I’m thinking that’s why it DOMINATED the ambient noise factor.

2 Likes

If you have a lot of stuff on the table. Turn a glass upside down and place on top. Also means it’s less likely to get broken when a glass / drink gets knocked over.

Upside down glass works even if no drinks but lots of other things like laptops etc.

It’s also means that the Mic is higher up closer to the speech so I find it easier to understand people.

I don’t carry mugs / glasses around tho. If there is none, then I don’t use the upside down glass hack, haha.

2 Likes

The Phonak rep told me the very same thing about putting it on an upside down glass, LOL! Hey, you could bring a collapsible cup in your purse and set it up wherever! Years of backpacking and camping have inspired me to have a set of these in cup, bowl and even dinner plate.

They’re lightweight, silicone/durable, fold down real flat and would be sturdy and “grippy” enough to hold the Roger device.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

One on ebay £250 earlier

1 Like

Maybe I’ll just whip out da stick and poke that in the face of the flight attendant! :wink:

Yeah, that will work too but what I meant about being good on flights is that you can also plug it into the planes sound system for getting the movies directly into your aids.

Another clarification about the Table mic, while that directionality thing you can do with the ON and Select is cool, the TM has an adjustment for near and far sound pick-up. Its the near setting that works so well in a large setting because it only picks up the nearby voices.

2 Likes

OKAY! That is verrry interesting! What cable would I use to plug it into the plane’s sound system? Do I connect the BASE with Roger stick in it, or the shortie cable that goes from stick to cell phone (USB + micro USB)?

Also! You mention that “the TM has an adjustment for near and far sound pick-up. Its the near setting that works so well in a large setting because it only picks up the nearby voices.” Are you referring to the “Tabletop” setting on the Roger ON stick? Or are you talking about having the MyRogerMic app on the phone doing that?

I ask cuz tonight - Test #2 - once again out to dinner (packin’ on the pounds!) with another soft-spoken friend. I tried my stick in “Tabletop” and “pointer” format, but neither worked at all! Again, the ambient sound completely overwhelmed my ears!!! So I just turned the Roger off, put my Lumity Life aids into “Speech in Loud Noise” and had a much better (not perfect) listening experience, catching close to 80% of what the soft-talker was saying.

I think I need to get in to see my audi to have “Speech in LOUD Noise” fine-tuned. When I mentioned to the Phonak rep a couple days ago that particular setting turns ALL volume uniformly down so that even folks sitting right across from me are speaking too softly, she looked at my audi and asked if she’d tried to tinker with the frequencies to improve that setting.

I compensate by putting aids in “Speech in Loud Noise” and then immediately jacking up the volume on them 2 steps.

If anyone has a proven way to reduce ambient noise when using the Roger stick, let me know. If it requires the dang-blasted app, I may have to go there. I need the thing to FOCUS on SPEECH. Human speech frequencies.

Thanks for your excellent insights here tho!

2 Likes

Did you know if you get the myPhonak App you would have access to Speech Enhancer feature which could have really helped you over the years.

Nothing to do with Roger. Just stating that you are missing out on features by not wanting to download Apps. Same issue with myRogerMic as well.

4 Likes

Can you turn off a Table Mic as you need to concentrate on the Mic closer to you when using two Mics together?

I have 2 x remotes with my 2 x Mics but wondered if that can happen with 1 x remote?

Can’t figure it out from looking online etc.

When using 1 x remote, does it only control 2 of more Mics at one time, not individually?

1 Like

@Zebras

These table mics look very good and would probably suit my needs better than my (possibly faulty) Roger On. It’s a shame the audio connector isn’t Toslink as well

Peter

1 Like

I don’t have that issue as I don’t own a TV.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Use the app in your hearing aids to turn off ( or down ) the audio coming from the aids. . Using only the Phonak Rogaer input audio will cut down the ambient noise problem.

2 Likes

Definitely agree with Zebras about the apps. I don’t know how you can do anything with Phonak without them.

I believe that any of the Roger devices, and probably the TV connect, can be used on flights. I usually use a Select in its dock plugged in to the audio and USB port or a battery pack on long trips.

The TM has a remote control for the distance control. TM also has a 16 hour battery.

Pretty sure one remote will control multiple TMs. And, no reason you can’t use a toslink connection.

1 Like

OKAY! If it’s as simple as this, you BETCHA I’ll try doing that. I can indeed turn the audio way down on my aids while the Roger On is … ON!

I know it’s impossible to anticipate everyone’s needs when trialing a new accessory, but I wish the Phonak rep had really walked me through all these options and scenarios like she has walked in my shoes.

The complex world of hearing aids BEGS for geek squads - either online, via phone or in person. To walk the folks through the setup and all the options and scenarios. It’s like buying a new car. Yes there is a 1" thick manual to read, but I remember when I bought my first decent car and the sales guy spent a good 30 min walking me through all the knobs, buttons and settings.

Thanks so much to everyone for all this valuable advice! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I will be traveling with the full kit for my Roger to see what American Airlines has in the way of where to plug stuff in. Most flights you have to ask for a headset cuz the airlines have utterly abrogated in-flight entertainment to the passengers: use your OWN iPad, cell phone, music player or whatever. We don’t get pillows, blankets either, but then I digress.

I’m also hoping to find a hotel with access to the back of the TV for using the toslink cable. Now if there’s a wall socket nearby to plug in the base … well, I’ll EAT MY AIDS.

1 Like

You never know … I may just buck up and DO it some day. It just bugs me how everything requires that cell phone - the better to track us every minute of the day.

I am also a tad worried that I’ll “fat-finger” something and then completely overwrite my aids’ settings ending up in a no-ma-am’s land of my own making. :neutral_face:

https://product-support.phonak.com/s/article/Reducing-the-background-noise?language=en_US

and from focus and forget it here:

you need to turn down the environmental sounds (the hearing aid mic) when Roger is activated in this situation. that is very likely to be the problem. also try having the person wear the pen in lanyard mode. Roger cuts through noise better than anything I have ever tried - but if you leave the hearing aid mic running, that will totally undermine all of what Roger can offer. i don’t know the HA you use, but my Marvels allow me to adjust this in the app. I still keep the HA mics “running”, just a lot lower in challenging situations when I want Roger to do its magic. so, to be clear, the “loudness” you hear is likely not coming from the Roger mic but your actual HA’s. This is my experience being an extensive Roger user, relying on it near daily.

Hope this helps and all the best.

1 Like

Yes, that does clear it up!! Very similar to when I use the TV Connector. I have to adjust the volume on my aids to compensate for the amount of ambient noise. I’m eager to try this out tonight! Thanks so much for the helpful insight. :slight_smile:

On an iPhone you can select what Apps can track you or not, if you’re that worried. I’m sure Android have a similar setting?

1 Like

I’ve got “Location” and other things on this list set to OFF on my Android phone, but the minute I use it, cell towers can keep track of me.

It’s also why I eschew any and all social media - mostly toxic, IMHO.

I just wish that any service, product or search wouldn’t require an app, account or me having to log in. :robot:

Even if you don’t have any Apps, you’ll ping off a cell tower when it’s just on and not being used. That’s how Police find missing people and much more.

1 Like