Question for those with good audiologists

Very much this. Someone posted (here or somewhere else, not sure) a poster with a bunch of descriptive words that might apply in different listening situations. I wish I’d kept it.

@LawyerFL
This really is helpful, thank you.

What I now need to learn, in self programming, is putting those descriptions into adjustments. For example, while using the TV Connector yesterday, I noticed that in my right ear only, the signal appeared slightly distorted and ‘honky’. This made me think I needed to reduce the MPO of some of the mid frequencies, but not sure?

Peter

@PeterH

Reducing the MPO will compress sounds even more so may not sound as good.

The advice I was given was the raise MPO but leave the gain settings. This allows less compression and clearer sounds. We do have very different hearing loss tho.

Problem with having issue with just the TV Connecter and not Bluetooth as well, adjusting it will also change Bluetooth as well.

1 Like

No you don’t mess with the MPO like this, you can just use the fine tuning instead.

1 Like

@tenkan

I’ve never touched the MPO before but a very experienced audiologist said to try it.

I had a little space to raise the MPO in my lows and it’s made things so much clearer. I only raised it by 3 dB.

Adjusting the gain and keeping the MPO the same just compresses things more. (At least for me!)

1 Like

Yeah but that’s ok, at least for most people, compression doesn’t seem to be the problem here, but you shouldn’t adjust the MPO to try and get “clearer” sound, as clarity can be achieved with mid to high frequency adjustments, but one thing is if your used to analogue (Linear) type with profound loss then this sounds quite plausible.
I’d only adjust MPO if I really needed some extra loudness, like a lot! Target can change the compression from memory, linear,semi-linear and another I can’t remember.

@tenkan

My Phonak Sky M70 SP have very high compression compared to my Phonak Naida P70 UP due to having less power in them and the MPO and gain being closer.

My Sky compression is all in the >3 range despite having the same G settings as my Naida which is all around 1.3 to 2 range.

I do not like the sound of my Sky anymore. Naida is much clearer since recent adjustment that can’t be matched in my Sky due to power difference.

My opinion only :point_down:
Linear just sets everything to be at the G65 number. So you get less gain in the soft sounds and more gain in the loud sounds. Yes it works for some people but I like to hear the soft sounds. Yes I could raise all of it to be at the same level at the G50 part (thinner line within the software).

1 Like

Yes that would be the case, the SP would of been at its limits, so yeah that’s pretty high compression, too much can definitely distort, the UP have the “grunt” for sure, and I see why you don’t like the SP anymore (no good as backups now no doubt) I too prefer to hear a bit of everything, I’ve never used linear myself for the very reason you described.

I’m seriously thinking of selling them as I just can’t hear with them.

I have my Phonak P70 and Oticon Xceed from NHS.

Going to buy the Phonak L90 very soon.

:slight_smile:

I think I’m using the wrong terminology here. I’m not adusting the overall global volume, I’m tweaking each individual frequency.

Should I be tweaking those underneath?

Phonak Sound Wheel ?

5 Likes

@PeterH

It’s properly best to try both MPO and gain and see how things sound.

1 Like

Yes just small adjustments to begin with, but I never really understood what honky sounds like! Lower frequencys?

no message; I’ll never make it as a stand up comedian.

3 Likes

OW. That is absolutely UN-acceptable! Proof positive that kind of audi does not WALK in your shoes at all. It’s like not even understanding the most basic principle of hearing: IT IS UNIQUE to the individual. No amount of testing, fiddling, make/model will dictate how that very person actually hears their world.

So perhaps I’ve been really lucky, but the last 2 audis I’ve had & have now are incredibly enthusiastic, persistent, genuinely see me as a good specimen to LEARN FROM. They know I can articulate a situation or hearing issue like striking a nail on the head. No BS. Just exactly what I’m experiencing. Yes, they will find it very curious and like NO other patient they’ve had, but instead of “good as it gets” they get on the phone with the HA maker, or do research, or consult a rep/Tech Support and keep on trying to achieve what kind of world I want to hear.

I would be adrift and hopelessly at sea without these incredibly competent, caring audis. I am ever so grateful that I found them.

3 Likes

I have actually taken this very chart (which I found from a post here) to the audi. Very helpful for both of us to describe the nuances of hearing with clear verbiage. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know how anybody understands the meaning of the words on the Phonak sound wheel. I figure there must be more to it, like a collection of sound files.

1 Like

@tenkan
A bit like a guitar wah-wah pedal half way pressed down, so I’d say low to mids.

I’m going to start again tomorrow, as they didn’t soynd good yesterday. I shall leave the MPO’s alone this time. I could hear “s” and “sh” better though

Well I think speech is more important then everyday sounds, so if “S” “SH” are sounding good and you still have clarity then you should stick to what you “know” you are hearing, Peter we are all different in how we perceive sounds, so sometimes what works for some, doesn’t necessarily work for others, just keep at it, and bit by bit you’ll get to a point where you can’t improve anymore, finding that sweet spot is not always easy!

1 Like

I was told at the time of assessment by the audiologist that I had severe hearing loss; high frequencies & when I requested this information in a diagnosis letter. The audiology department assistant documented in a letter I had bilateral mild hearing loss. My next question was why do I need hearing aids; worth the price of a good second hand car !. I had to go back to the audiologist to request Telecoil as it was not activated at the time of setup. Despite my many questions there was no information re updating firmwear. Re Tinnitus. The Phonak Tinnitus Balance app does not exist now. I spent days to find that out. I was advised no one ever asks for a letter about their hearing assessment and advised to go through customer services to request a letter. I expected this from the audiologist as part of the service package. I was amazed at being told to go contact customer services. On a positive note I can go back to the audiologist any time for fixes. I’ve turned into an absolute bore as I am willing to talk about hearing aids non stop to anyone willing to listen. And my aids have changed my life for the better. The first time I used T-Coil in the cinema a few weeks ago; it was amazing.