Programming old sonic innovations velocity

Has any one successfully programmed old sonic innovations hearing aids?

I have a pair of 2008 SI Velocity hearing aids. After some repairs over the years one is noticeably louder than the other, so I’d like to adjust the gain. I acquired ExpressFit 6.4 and a usb mini-pro with cs44 cables and flex strips (from:
http://www.thehearingclub.com/Programming-Adapter-size-312-13-or-FLEX-STRIPS-Comes-with-two-adapters_p_285.html). So far I can’t get the software to detect the aid.

Then I found according to this, hi-pro not supported for v6.4:
http://www.sonici.com/Sonic/For-professionals/Support/Frequently-asked-questions.aspx?active={D6881C49-C86E-4EDA-AC0E-8B5032FB83B7}#{D6881C49-C86E-4EDA-AC0E-8B5032FB83B7}

Which is odd because hi-pro is a selectable option in the version 6.4 software. In Velocity Spec guide (here) it says
“For best performance, program Velocity products with EXPRESSlink
from Sonic Innovations or HIMSA’s NOAHlink programming interface.
Use of the HI-PRO interface is not recommended for Velocity products.”

I found an ExpressLink on ebay which should work, but I am not sure if the hi-pro is actually the issue, or the only issue.

Additionally this seems to imply I should be using some special 4-gold pin sonic flex strips:
http://www.sonici.com/Sonic/For-professionals/Support/Frequently-asked-questions.aspx?active={6898198C-8D62-4381-A31F-0FD490713A23}#{6898198C-8D62-4381-A31F-0FD490713A23}

“The original Sonic Flex Strip is used for instruments programmed through the older EXPRESSfit 6.4 Fitting Software. You can identify these strips by the 4 gold contacts on the connector end and the word ‘SONIC’ on the strip itself.”

But as far as I can tell the aids only have three metal contacts under the battery door. Also I’m not sure how I could obtain these strips.

EXPRESSfit Versions:
EXPRESSfit 2016.1 is used to program products using the Speech Variable Processing Technology Platform (e.g. Celebrate, Cheer, Journey, Bliss, Charm, etc.)
EXPRESSfit 6.4 is used to program products using the Sonic Sound Processing Technology Platform (e.g. Velocity, ion, Endura, Pearl, etc.)
Older products – such as Adesso, Conforma, and Natura – can be programmed with EXPRESSfit 4.7

So you must use EXPRESSfit 6.4, right?

You issue may be whether or not power is supplied via cable or from the battery?? Maybe you need a 4-connector strip to supply power without using the battery??

From Sonic Q&A,
Should the battery be in or out of the hearing aid while programming?
It depends on the product being programmed. Products programmed with EXPRESSfit 2015.2 should be programmed with the battery in the hearing aid, unless otherwise noted in the EXPRESSfit Fitting System Installation Guide.
Products that use EXPRESSfit 6.4 should be programmed with the battery out of the hearing aid.

What are the differences between a Flex Strip, a FlexConnect, and a FlexConnect Mini?
The FlexConnect is used to program the Celebrate miniRITE, Cheer miniRITE, Pep CIC and ITC custom instruments. It is easy to recognize by the 3 gold contacts on the connector end.
The FlexConnect Mini is used to program all Celebrate, Cheer, Bliss and Charm custom instruments. Like the FlexConnect, there are 3 gold contacts on the connector; however, the connector end is narrower than that of the FlexConnect flex strip.
The original Sonic Flex Strip is used for instruments programmed through the older EXPRESSfit 6.4 Fitting Software. You can identify these strips by the 4 gold contacts on the connector end and the word ‘SONIC’ on the strip itself.

I’m wondering if you were able to follow those bread crumbs from Sonic?

1.  EXPRESSfit 6.4 is used to program products using the Sonic Sound Processing Technology Platform (e.g. Velocity).

2.  Products that use EXPRESSfit 6.4 should be programmed with the battery out of the hearing aids.

You will need power to connect/program the Sonic Velocity hearing aids. Actually you need power to connect/program any hearing aid. With the batteries out, you will not be getting power from the battery. Thus, you will need to get power from the cables/flex-whatevers.

Now I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think you can get power with a three-conductor connection to hearing aids. I think you will need a four-conductor connection.

The three-conductor connections that I have used in the past were programmed with the battery in.

Thanks for the fast replies! Yes I agree with you, I have standalone version 6.4. I tried both battery out at first and then a fresh battery in, but neither worked.

I spoke with a family member who used to be in the business and he believes the hi-pro should work but I need the four contact flex strip, for the reason you stated – to provide power. He suggested contacting Sonic to see if they can provide these strips, and if not he should be able to get some for me. I’ll report back once I get a hold of some.

I did come across these in some online research, but I don’t know if they would work, and there’s 8 week lead time and minimum order of 50, so I can’t experiment:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Knowles/9201-153296/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiTvpGOGjIHoQq8xYE3bOcUwoM4x8GnFI%252bNqLJN35NipA%3D%3D
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/218/rogramming%20Flex%20Cable%209200-9201-532681.pdf

I had a similar problem yesterday. At the audiologist and he tried to connect my Sonic Velocity 12’s to a hi pro, it would not recognize the aids. Called Sonic and they told him he had to have an adapter between the Hi Pro and the hearing aids or the Hi Pro would not recognize the aids. Fortunately he also had a Expresslink3 and that recognized one of my aids immediately. There seems to be a connector problem in my right aid.

Does anyone know what is in the adapter? My thoughts are that it might be just a wire changing box to change pin connections to the Hi Pro but don’t know for sure.

The only pin connection switching that we know of is Phonak/Unitron.

Yes, I remember seeing that somewhere (probably on this forum). I was just trying to think of what might be inside the adapter box. Thanks anyway.

Express-fit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONIC-INNOVATIONS-EXPRESS-FIT-HEARING-AID-PROGRAMMING-CABLES/273087988845?hash=item3f9550046d:g:~rYAAOSw5VNagMry

I saw that earlier and believe it is the earlier version of expressfit (V1) and won’t work with the newer models. They are up to expressfit 3 now and I think it takes at least a version2 to talk to the velocity.+

Hello, is it possible to obtain somewhere ExpressFit 6.4 software, unfortunatelly Sonic does not longer provide download options for this program (links are not active)?
Thank you very much for help
Chris