Phonak Programming question

I have a question for anyone that might have some experience with Programming Phonak Naida aids. I won’t be up and running with my programming hardware for a couple of more months. I recently purchased a pair of used Phonak Naida S 1 Up. My previous aids were Siemens Intuis SP. When I received the Naida’s they sounded good, much better than the Siemens. They had plenty of amplification and the sound was not distorted at all but it was evident that they needed some adjustments. I sent them to a well respected DIY programmer along with a older audiogram as I can’t find an Audi to program used aids. When they came back the amplification was very weak and the sound was distorted and unnatural, almost like when you pinch your nose and speak, completely different than when I first received them. I went to a dispenser and got a up to date audiogram and while there was a minor change in the last 10 years it wasn’t significant. I sent the Aids back to him with the new audiogram telling him I needed the much more gain and that the sound was distorted. They just came back and there was no improvement, can’t even wear them. Now this is a man that is well respected in the DIY community and has written quite a few articles on the subject and programs his own aids so I don’t doubt his competency. While I know that you can’t get the specific tweaks you need by having them programmed remotely, I would think based on my audiogram they would be pretty close. As I said they were pretty close when I first got them in amplification and sound so I know the Aids are not defective, they’re only a year old.
So I’m stumped as is he in what the problem is. Is there someone here that night have some insight. Thanks so much in advance.

125_250_500_1k__2k__4k__8k__

​55__80__80__95__95__95__70__
​80__95__80__90__85__75__60__

This is a hard one…
Could be a programming error or even a concurrent development of an issue with one or both of the aids.

What I would do…
You could ask the programmer for a printout of the current settings of both aids if he has a printer. (This is done within the Target program).

Then ask the programmer if he would re-program the aids back to the original program settings that he started with – hopefully he kept a copy of the original settings. (If he didn’t…. well goodnight – it’s square one).

Ask him to also give you a printout of the original settings.

Then a comparison can be made between the settings. The programmer may well be able to determine if there are major discrepancies in the settings.

If the aids are reverted to the original settings and sound different to what you remember them to be when you first had them – that MIGHT indicate some issue with one or both aids. I’m more inclined towards the program error at this stage because hiccups can occur with programming despite the talent and diligence of the programmer.

Unfortunately until you get your programming equipment you can’t do very much at all testing out various settings or even trying to program the aids to your more recent audiogram. (When you start programming your own aids my unasked for advice is save everything so you can go back. You’ll end up with heaps of files and spend days finding the one you want, but it will be there).

Adianup,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’m inclined to agree with you that it might be an error on his part,despite the fact I don’t doubt his skills. I think I’ll just wait until I’ve gathered my hardware to do it myself. I have Target and the icube2 but just need to get the Mini Hi-Pro as despite being the Spice platform and 2016 models the Cube won’t work for them. Do you have any experience purchasing the Hi-Pro? I see them on Ebay and Ali Express, I’m sure they’re cloned but was wondering if they work as well as the original?

[quote=jpinthekeys;153682]
…I have Target and the icube2 but just need to get the Mini Hi-Pro as despite being the Spice platform and 2016 models the Cube won’t work for them.

Something is strange here…I have Naida S IX UP which I play around with in Target version 4.1.0.9913 and just an Icube. (I purchased the Naida’s secondhand for backups and playing with programming). No problems with them. Check your Target version - I think it needs to be v4 plus with Icube II for Spice.

I have had no use for a Hi-Pro to date.

You could refer to PVC’s information (within this section of the forum) about purchasing the Hi-Pro and more recently the information about the Mini Pro as well.

Adianup,
Thanks for the info, I did read PVC’s info in the DIY section, very informative. Yea, I was surprised that the Naida S 1 UP wasn’t recognized by Target and I do have the updated version which is 5. something. It turned out that particular one being a basic model without wireless capabilities has to be done with cables. I understand the higher ones S IX and S V work with the cube.

ICUBE 2 support the spice platform HA.