Personalities

Yes, I’ve been wearing hearing aids for 7 years now. I’ll kindly disagree with you. Some people come here with such unrealistic expectations they could never be satisfied. Studies have shown some people being “satisfied” with a placebo hearing aid that does nothing.

3 Likes

Expectations and motivation to improve hearing are important.

You might like to read this…

Self-Determination Theory: Motivation and Hearing Aid Adoption.

Journal of the Academy of Rehabilitative Audiology . 2013, Vol. 46, p11-37. 27p.
Author(s):** Ridgway, Jason; Hickson, Louise; Lind, Christopher

Abstract: Frequently, people seeking help for their hearing loss are asked to make a decision about whether or not they wish to adopt hearing aids. Both audiological and non-audiological factors often form the basis of this decision, but it has been difficult to predict which of these factors and to what extent they might influence individual decisions. Client motivation is thought to drive personal decision-making in hearing rehabilitation, yet this area of research in audiology has received limited attention. This paper introduces a theory of motivation; Self-Determination Theory (SDT), which it is argued can be applied to hearing rehabilitation to help understand how decisions are made to adopt hearing aids. Specifically, the key components of SDT are described, past audiological literature is contextualized within the SDT framework, and SDT is explored as a useful theoretical tool for analyzing the role of motivation in hearing rehabilitation. To better understand how motivation may affect hearing aid adoption, future research directions and practical applications are discussed.

or this

The impact of self-efficacy, expectations, and readiness on hearing aid outcomes

Melanie A. Ferguson, Annie Woolley, Kevin J. Munro

Pages S34-S41 | Received 21 Dec 2015, Accepted 03 Apr 2016, Published online: 07 Jun 2016

In this article

Abstract

Objective: To examine the impact of self-efficacy and expectations for hearing aids, and readiness to improve hearing, on hearing aid outcome measures in first-time adult hearing aid users Design: A prospective, single centre design. Predictor variables measured at the hearing assessment included measures of self-efficacy, expectations and readiness to improve hearing. Outcome measures obtained at six-week follow-up were the Glasgow Hearing Aid Benefit Profile and Satisfaction with Amplification in Daily Life. Study sample: A sample of 30 first-time adult hearing aid users were recruited through a public-sector funded audiology clinic. Results: When measured prior to hearing aid fitting, self-efficacy for hearing aids predicted satisfaction with hearing aids but was not related to other hearing aid outcomes. Expectations of hearing aids, in particular positive expectations, and readiness to improve hearing predicted outcomes for hearing aid satisfaction and benefit, although not hearing aid use. Hearing sensitivity was not correlated with hearing aid outcomes. Conclusions: These results suggest that assessment of expectations of hearing aids, and readiness to improve hearing, may be useful to help identify individuals attending audiology clinics who would most likely benefit from hearing aid provision.

1 Like

Personality tests should be done on audiologists, more so than patients.

1 Like

I don’t recall either audi ever asking what prompted me to get hearing aids. That’s particularly notable as my charts lists having SSD for a decade.

I use the motivation tools found on the ida site (see link). I find them a great way to assess motivation and start the conversation.

1 Like