Oticon Real 1 trial compared to current Oticon More 1

All I have is my real world experience, having worn HAs for 25 years. I’ve dealt with the wind noise in my KS6, Brio 3, KS9, KS10. When the wind would blow, I might be able to turn my head and hear a conversation. All of these to my recollection had wind reduction technology. When I had the top down on the car, I could hear lots of wind, but not much of the radio.On a walk with my wife I could hear until the wind would blow.
The first thing I noticed about the 9040s was a major reduction in wind noise and I was able to understand conversations! Also with the car top down, I can now hear the radio and make out most of the words.
I didn’t buy the 9040s for their wind reduction (didn’t really know about it), but I’m amazed at how this technology has helped me hear better. I believe the 9040s have the same technology as the Reals for wind reduction.

Unlike some of those who contributed to this thread, I can’t say how it is for anyone but myself. I switched from More 1s to Real 1s specifically for the improved wind noise handling. I spend hours each day riding my bicycle, and the comfort difference between my old More 1s and my new Real 1s is HUGE. It’s even a safety issue, as I previously could not easily pick up cars approaching from the rear when moving more than 16 mph or so. Now I can.
As for speech (and music) indoors, I haven’t noticed any improvements.
My only disappointment with the Reals vs Mores is that they have the same problem with erratic Bluetooth dropouts when streaming. On the bike, I have to mount my phone on the handlebars or keep it in the center back pocket of my jersey. If I put it in the side back pocket, the opposite side HA drops out. Bah! How hard can this be to fix? I have other BLE devices that stream flawlessly.

I have a CatEye Pardone Smart+1 and HR-A1 heart rate sensor also paired to my iPhone 13 Pro Max along with my hearing aids and AppleWatch. Currently riding a Catrike Dumont with my iPhone mounted out in front of me. I will lose bluetooth connection to my CatEye device intermittently which is a PIA (searching) but if I just wait it shows back up. I have not experienced issues with the More 1 or Real 1 aids disconnecting when I ride. Using your experience it might be due to the location that I have my iPhone mounted. Since I am seated reclining I am limited in pockets. I will try and put my iPhone in my shorts pocket today and see if I get the bluetooth disconnects from my aids. I use to be able to ride at 16+ MPH but now doing 12 MPH is the top of my speed unless I find a nice downhill.

@joel.schuman I know this is off topic for this thread, but can I ask what phone you have? I recently upgraded from iPhone XR to iphone 13 and have started having this problem. I never had this issue with my XR so I was wondering if there was something wrong with my new phone.

iPhone 14 Pro. My wife has More 1s and same phone and hers BT streaming is also flaky. Oticon uses Bluetooth BLE - maybe that’s the problem. BLE is known to have range and data rate limitations.

I wonder how a wind blocking head band might help for ALL HA users? For example, the Pearl Izumi is very narrow and designed for the ears.

edit: I jsut found this. No idea if it’s any good.

Yeah when I’m out on the golf course I use a sweet band,pull one end down and cover’s the top microphones which seem to produce the most noise.

yeah, i know. I just find it strange that my XR did not have this issue. I would have thought a newer phone with the newest technology would be at least as good if not better, but apparently that is not the case. Strange.

Hey, there is lots of wind in Auckland, New Zealand, and even more in Wellington. Believe me, I do not need to ride my bike, be a PhD of Hearing, or write a book to experience (and realize) significant issues hearing my wife being on a walk close to the shore in windy weather, even if she follows me on the right side where I do have not that bad hearing loss. For now, I have to wear a thin beany to reduse the wind noise when it is windy outside.
I love my Mores, but I look forward to hearing from Reals.
Please be kind and do not irk when meeting people with an opinion and experiences that differ from yours.
IMHO, we are here to interchange ideas, encourage, and comfort one another, not to battle.
Cheers
Serge

4 Likes

I tried putting my iPhone 13 Pro Max in my shorts pockets to see if it impacted bluetooth reception and it did not cause any bluetooth disconnects with my Oticon Real 1 aids while on my bike. I also have used them while playing tennis and the Oticon Real 1 was much better at hearing my partner and the other players. I picked up my new Real 1 aids yesterday and I am really enjoying the difference in voice clarity. I removed the Oticon On app from my iPhone and reinstalled the Oticon Companion app and so far so good. The control from my Apple Watch works good also.

When I’m riding, walking or running I have my phone in an upper arm band phone carrier on left bicep (right handed).
Solved the dropout issue and I can still use screen with right hand if needed.

2 Likes

When I’m riding, my phone is on a QuadLock handlebar mount with no dropouts. But when it rains I put it in my jacket pocket, and sometimes experience the dropout thing.

1 Like