Custom mold receiver position questions

I thought my molds didn’t go as far into my ears as my domes did when I was wearing an open fit but especially because my molds block noise bypassing my HA’s much more than open domes, power domes, or tulip domes ever did (in part because of the irregular shape of my ear canals did not mesh well with the regular shapes of the domes), I think that I hear much better if there is any noise in the environment because the noise doesn’t get as much to my eardrums. So I would worry more if the molds improve your hearing overall. Since I wear an occlusive fitting mold, I can go with more amplification without feedback. I liked the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm and the ReSound Experienced User (nonlinear) fitting profile for this and they work better because of the molds. And I also found the occlusive molds made streaming better than ever by blocking out street noise. So, YMMV, but I’d try to focus on finding and maximizing the positive rather than thinking too much about what might be negative. I always think about how much I like my hearing aids as opposed to the world I (don’t) hear when the HA’s are not in vs. well, they’re pretty good but I think they could be better in X, Y, and Z. OTH, if you can’t find any real positives after a while and the molds are just a negative in every respect, it would certainly be sensible to go back to what you like most. Then you can be comfortable that you tried molds rather than you never did and always had doubts that you should have. I had my doubts before and when I just started with molds but soon I found lots of pluses and would never go back to domes. Every new HA in the future I get, after I know the model is a keeper, I will be asking for custom molds like the ones I have now with Select-A-Vent.

That’s just it Jim, they don’t, but I would think they should and I believe the reason is the position of the receiver in the mold. I had to quit wearing the Widex because of it. I’m just wondering if anything can be done about it.

At first , I didn’t think that I heard as well either for the exact same reason - I felt the receivers were further away from my ear drums and the sound not as strong. Also, initially, I did notice and was conscious of the “sound of my own voice” effect, perhaps as you describe. But for me (and you may be totally different), I like being able to crank up the loudness of soft high frequencies as NAL-NL2 and DSL5 algorithms do, and not worry so much about feedback and I liked the ability to better close out noise if I wanted to and rely more on the directionality of my external mics - I thought that actually improved my ability to hear in noisy situations as well as the ability to better use a remote microphone if I wanted to and really cut off input from my external mics and noise direct to my ear drum from an open fit. So your hearing situation may be totally different. But I completely got used to any change in voice sound when I wear my molds and although maybe the sound from receivers is a bit softer to me it seems cleaner and easier to understand speech since I’m basically only hearing output from my receivers, little direct to my ear drums (I thought I was getting interference between the two types of sound with an open fit and didn’t hear as clearly as a result - LOUD is not necessarily CLEAR). I also find it much easier to clean my receivers with molds. Ear wax almost never gets down into the receiver openings in the molds whereas every day I was trying to clean wax out of the receiver openings in my domes. (Phonak has nice little “umbrellas” partially blocking the receiver openings on some of their domes, though, that ought to help on that score and I know (some) Phonak domes fit on a number of other brands).

So with molds, do you always have the “sound of my own voice” issue? Just not sure I could ever get used to that… I get that with the “power domes” that I’m trying with my OPN S1 - problem is I still get a dreadful amount of feedback/squealing/whistling … I recently got 100db receivers - I had 85db receivers for the past 3 years (these are my first hearing aids…) … I think I am hearing a bit better but with the almost constant feedback - they are driving me crazy… interesting in that with the 100db receivers - my ears were really hurting - audiologist is ordering next wire size up … if that is more comfortable, I’ll probably be talking to her about molds… guess worst case is I’m out a couple hundred bucks for the molds if they don’t work out …

With me it’s not a loudness thing, it’s clarity. I tried for almost three days with the Widex and custom molds. When my grandson started talking to me Sunday morning and I couldn’t understand him at all, I took the Moments out and put in the OPNs with tulip domes, which are much better.

Here are some old references and discussions on the forum of molds vs. domes, amount of venting, etc.

1. A review: Article on open fit vs closed fit

2. One of the original papers the review is based on: Article on open fit vs closed fit - #10 by jim_lewis

It’s a multi-dimensional problem. And as with many things, there is theory and then there is how well the theory is implemented in practice, e.g., if a good impression is not taken, you might get a lousy mold and so on and so forth.

Not everyone is happy with molds but my impression from skimming many posts of the forum is that most people are happier with them than with domes because they are a custom fit and you can design in, one way or the other, the amount of occlusion that makes you happy or not, and some HA’s, like the Signia that I think Sierra wore (whatever happened to him? hope he’s safe w.r.t. Covid-19!), have active cancellation to dial out the sound of your own voice yet maintain a fair amount of occlusion. So one has to find what works best for oneself.

1 Like

That has been my understanding also after reading hundreds of post. Maybe I was expecting to much. I’m hoping I can get custom molds on the OPNs also, if the same problem exists then I will know molds may not be for me.

@nedunla it depends how sensitive you are to low frequencies, and what your hearing is like, and the vent configuration of the hearing aids. I have an unvented mold for my left ear with a traditional BTE and have no occlusion to speak of, but I also have very significant hearing loss so from what I’ve read it wouldn’t be expected for me to have an issue. Your audiogram in your profile would look like you’d be on the borderline to experience it, but like I mentioned above it’s a lot of factors that go into it, not just one’s hearing.

Thanks… I have no idea how sensitive I am to low frequencies? I just know the audiologist said if she adjusts the aid so that I no longer have the feedback it will defeat the purpose of having the 100db receiver…I have single vent domes as well as power domes… single vents are more comfortable but I get feedback ; power domes I get the occluded feeling , hearing my own voice too loud, and feedback…

I tried double domes and got the occlusion (hearing footsteps boom when walking and my voice overly loud) also. The custom molds were fine with occlusion for me with 2.4 vent. I didn’t have any occlusion when the vent size was smaller either.

Thanks again… when I go to audiologist to get the longer wire for 100db I will discuss with her… I’m thinkng I should try custom molds …

Totally agree that if you’re going to try to use 100db receivers you should be in custom molds. I think that’s the better option, but another possibility might be going back to 85db receivers and using frequency lowering.

2 Likes

Thanks… I’ll talk to audiologist about frequency lowering…

ps… where can I learn more about “frequency lowering” ? Not exactly sure what that means etc

I don’t how much you want to get into it. Here’s a good place to start: 20Q: Frequency Lowering Ten Years Later - New Technology Innovations

2 Likes

Hey @MDB since your in here what do you think about the length of the custom mold? Is there a standard for length, position of the end of the receiver in the canal?

I really have no clue. Sorry. The only thing I’m aware of is if the mold can be fit deeply into the bony section of the ear canal, occlusion can be reduced.

3 Likes

I’m a Widex wearer with custom ear molds and don’t have a problem with this. Mine have an ear lock that helps for stability in my ear.

My molds have the ear locks also. It’s not a stability problem though. The molds fit well and are comfortable. I just don’t think the receiver is deep enough in the canal.

New ear molds needed???