Comparison of battery life (mAh) in eight different brands of hearing aid batteries

Wow, lots of info to sift thru and understand. :>)) I have a question about short battery life. I went to a kids summer camp for a week and brought an extra set of batteries (as a back up) . One day into camp my warning beep started in one of my ha’s. The batteries were one day old at the time. I thought that strange ,then a few hours later the other went into warning beep. Now I was in trouble because I only had one extra set. I was bailed out by the camp director who made a WalMart run and brought me a 16 pack. My question is does battery life depend on the amount of sound processing. During the week I was in large crowds of screaming kids and my ha’s seemed to be in clipping mode. Is battery drain dependent on the amount of sound being process. My replacement batteries lasted a little longer at camp but not the 4 to 5 days normally experienced. (Oticon Delta’s)
Can anyone comment?

CLIFFORD

cliff,
If your HA"s are working more than usual at sound processing they will go though batteries faster than normal; as they will if you are using a Streamer and doing a lot of talking on the phone or listening to TV, music, etc. you will eat up your batteries faster than normal. I would guess that either you got some bad batteries, you were sweating a lot or moisture got to the batteries somehow for them to fail as quickly as they did.

I am taking Power One batteries and it lasts about 4 days, maximum 5. I am wearing it cca 14-16 hours per day without taking it off, and sometimes I am wearing headphones (which also takes battery life).

Yup, I’ve had mine for around 9 days and was told by my dispenser at Costco that the Zinc Air Extra Size 10 batteries should last a week to 10 days. Really, try 3 1/2 to 4 days, max! There’s gotta be some batteries that last longer than this, right?

Could be a pipe dream, huh?:confused: Good thing these batteries are so cheap at Costco… I’m gonna need a few!!!

I’m very surprised to see so few posts in this thread lately.
I didn’t go through every single post on batteries but, did read most.
I very recently bought a pack of 60 of the iCellTech 312 batteries on line
and they are the worst I’ve yet used. I go thru at least 2 per day on a very
very good day. I’ve had them die in 30 minutes or even less. They are cheap at
20 cents each but in the long run that turns into as much as a dollar a day.
So, has there been any new info on the best battery currently available?
I have Resound bte’s from Costco and do you the streamer and bluetooth via the
phone clip everyday…not constatly but, a few times a day.
Any comments?

Wow Bob, I hate hearing that… I just ordered some iCellTech 10’s, just to try them out. Fortunately I only bought a few, should be here today or tomorrow. There’s gotta be some batteries out there that will last longer than 3 1/2 days!!!

bite the bullet and buy Power One or Rayovac batteries. if you continue to go through 2 pairs of batteries a day you have a problem with your hearing aids.

How does Rayovac stand up to Power One? I only have experience with the latter. In fact, I just got the mercury-free Power One batteries. We’ll see how those work.

Evil.

For me personally Power One are so much better and provide the longest battery life but Rayovac are second compared to other brands.

I’ve been using iCellTec 312’s in my ReSound Futures, and most of the time, I get around 5 days. I use the phone clip off and on with my iTouch, and that does seem to shorten their life. I’ve been getting them from e-bay or Amazon.

Hi, I posted a message a while back about defective batt’s. The batteries I was complaining about were EZchange Eveready #10’s. The shelf date 2015. Here’s my issues, some batteries will last 2 days ,I wear the HA’s about 16 hrs per day. My HA’s are Oticons . Sometimes I dispense a battery and it will last 10 minutes, sometimes less than a day. I purchased a pack of Power One’s and they last a full day longer.
I wondered if the Everady Company has a quality control problem. I took a new EZ pack and measured the voltage of each battery in the pack. (it’s not necessary to remove them off the “seal” adheasive ) the voltages ranged from .96 , 1.35 , 1.43 . 1.42 , 1.15 1.11 there is a wide spread. I tested a new pack of Power One’s and every battery was at 1.17 exactly. Very consistant. I’m wondering why the two brands show a difference. One of my theory’s is that the “seal” adheasive dose not seal the back side of the battery properly and the chemical activation has started before being removed from the pack. For those who don’t know about the tricky dispenser Eveready is now using it’s a round container with a clear top and a base that rotates. Inside the batt’s are stuck to a sticky disc. In the top center is a thumb slider that pushes the battery off the sticky surface and onto a tiny magnet. The magnet holds the battery for easy to handle use. I’m wondering if this dispenser is the culprit for short life. I have a big supply of the EZ dispenser batteries because I have a grand daughter working for an Eveready Corp. division. I hate the product because of the inconvience of not knowing when I must change batt’s. especially when in a public place. If I go to an engagement I put in my Power Ones because I can trust them.
Anybody have comments?

CLIFFORD

Clifford,
Perhaps your grand daughter is getting returned batteries or even seconds and that is why you are having all the problems with them. To test the theory go buy a new pack of Eveready batteries at a store and check the voltage on those batteries and see what you get. If there isn’t any difference a call into Corporate would be in order, they would probably want to know if they have a defective package design and would refund your money to you or give you new replacement batteries. Good luck!

Should I buy a 1 year supply all at the same time or will the ones I’ll use towards the end of the year have a shorter life because too much time has past? My dad would store all batteries in the refrigerator . Is that a good idea?

I don’t buy anything bigger than the 40 pack at Costco and I would never put them in the refrigerator, hearing aid batteries and moisture don’t work well together. The 40 pack of #13’s last me 40 weeks.

Perhaps you should read Snopes which has replies from Energizer and Duracell about storing batteries in the refrigerator. It is located at Will Refrigerating Batteries Improve Their Performance? | Snopes.com . And as the previous poster pointed out, that would be even worse for hearing aid batteries which are killed by moisture. Ah, put them in a ziplock baggie, right? Let the condensation do the trick even better. NO battery should be kept at other than room temperature, regardless of type. And NO battery should be kept in a moist environment … think refrigerator here.

Yes! I agree. I have ReSound BTE with bluetooth receiver using remote and TV which uses more power. Power One have the best life from my experience and no problem when sweating.
Power one are 180 mAh
I use Rayovac if I cant find Power One.

Cliff, reading your post got me thinking about altitude. Knowing that the batteries use Oxy to activate and generate electricity?
anyone with this experience at high altitude?

I get my aids from the VA and also the VA provides my batteries and for about 3 years now I have been getting power one batteries. When I first started receiving the power ones they were very bad in time of use for my aid, but for the last year they have become the longest. I had the Oticon dual WX and would get about 8 days of 12 hours a day on the average, and I had them connected to the streamer all the time. I now have just received my new Oticon Alta Pros with streamer pro and I have not had to change my batteries yet and I am going on my 11th day with the same batteries.

Has anyone noticed that Power One Batteries are not working the same as they used to? I am noticing that my patients are complaining that either the battery is dead, or making the hearing aid generate the low battery tone almost instantly once inserted into the hearing aids after removing the sticker.

The only thing that has worked so far to make these batteries usable, is to peel the sticker and wait about a minute and then insert them after that wait.

HAs anyone else had similar experience? Are there better batteries out there that I don’t know of?

Thanks in advance.

— Updated —

Has anyone noticed that Power One Batteries are not working the same as they used to? I am noticing that my patients are complaining that either the battery is dead, or making the hearing aid generate the low battery tone almost instantly once inserted into the hearing aids after removing the sticker.

The only thing that has worked so far to make these batteries usable, is to peel the sticker and wait about a minute and then insert them after that wait.

HAs anyone else had similar experience? Are there better batteries out there that I don’t know of?

Thanks in advance.

The VA gives me my hearing aid batteries and they are always power ones. I had issues about 4 years ago with them but over the last 3 years they have really worked great. I have tried removing the sticker and waiting about 2 minutes and I see no difference in the battery life. I am using 312s and in my Alta Pros with the either the 85 or 90 receivers I am getting 140 hours of use.